All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM

The Attached pics are tank sections that were assembled using a 1/4 round tank roll. The one that i use is made out of Delrin and steel.PA100051.jpg

PA100054.jpg

PA100057.jpg
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 AM

I'm no Metal Shaper by Any Means But....
I see lots of uses for these.
I will try and take some Pictures, or Shoot a Video today and Show what the Dies do to the Metals Metal.

Jordon I think Maybe you may be trying to do it in one Pass?
I took about 4 Passes with the 1/4" Set and about 7 or 8 with the 1/2" Set.

I have used the 1/4 Radius set and the 1/2" Radius Set Successfully to turn an Edge.
The HF Sets can be ran Either Way on the Machines.

As Gene pointed out his drawing does not have stops on the die, mine do. After making and trying them I cut the Stop off one of the Male Dies which now enabled the Material to be Verticle outside of the Machine.
If you have Shape(Compound Arcs) in the piece your Making this May help any Clearance Issues.

I took a Basic Bowl(Not Finished, still with Tucks from being Hammered) Shown in my Videos and ran it through the 1/4" Dies and it Flattened the Bowl about an Inch around the perimeter as well as folding the edge over.

Looks like a Flying Saucer!
Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
Fax 260-724-2236

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM

i have 3 sets of radius dies and i used them all the time on my Pexto i dont know why no one makes them by now i see people wasting lots time with post dolly's to turn radius
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Hey Guys Just an Update to this....
We have available in Pexto and Harbor Freight Models Tank Rolls in 1/4", 5/16", 3/8, 15/32, and 1/2". All of these will turn up to a 90 Degree edge.

We are now Running them to turn up to 60 Degrees in Larger Radius.
New Sizes soon to be Available are:
1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", and 1.0

1.0 is the largest radius I can Machine on the 2" between center Machines.
at 1" there is still 57 Degrees of working Area.

Thanks for reading.
Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
Fax 260-724-2236

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 AM

I've made quite a few different Dies over the Past Month or so, they are readily available on E-Bay at .99 opening bids.

----------------------------------------------

More Important though is my next Question....

I personally see the need for a set of these Tank Rolls with some Clearance, Has Anyone Else seen a need for it?

What I am talking about is running a Motorcycle Rear Fender through to create the Fenders edge. These Rolls Do it as is but Deform the Highly Arched Crown because of the Flat Contact Area.

I hope this weekend to Take a Newly made Fender(It's 11 Inches Wide, and Fits a 15.5" Diameter Tire on a Custom Stretched, and Lowered 110cc Mini Chopper) and Run it through a set of Dies with Clearance for the Crown.
Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
Fax 260-724-2236

Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Andrews View Post
I've made quite a few different Dies over the Past Month or so, they are readily available on E-Bay at .99 opening bids.

----------------------------------------------

More Important though is my next Question....

I personally see the need for a set of these Tank Rolls with some Clearance, Has Anyone Else seen a need for it?

What I am talking about is running a Motorcycle Rear Fender through to create the Fenders edge. These Rolls Do it as is but Deform the Highly Arched Crown because of the Flat Contact Area.

I hope this weekend to Take a Newly made Fender(It's 11 Inches Wide, and Fits a 15.5" Diameter Tire on a Custom Stretched, and Lowered 110cc Mini Chopper) and Run it through a set of Dies with Clearance for the Crown.

did you ever test the fender?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM

I Bought a full set of all of the 90* tank rolls Joe makes. They came friday and I was using them today. with careful stretching before you can create a raised circle with a nice radius in the middle of a panel. also make bodylines across door skins and joe offers enough radi's to allow for lots of creativity! I was curious about tank rolls and knew If i wanted to try them I would need all sizes to figure out how to use them best in my little shop. Thanks Joe!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM

Default tank roll dies

I could not find them on e-bay. where are they posted?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM

ebay
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Default barry larson

Was hopeing Ron Crovel would send us something....Sat in on his alum class...he made a small 34 ford rear fender. used the wheel to put some crown in the topor outside part.....then ran the part through the 45 raidus die to bring the sides over. next he made the outer side....45 ed the top edge and tacked the 2 parts together......the next part wa the wire edge..all done by hand...a peice of 1/2 in sq stock with a slot in it to start the wirt grove.added the wire and crimped the end and ran it through the bead roller to wrap the material around the wire............Next was a little set of dies to put the 3/8 stifing bead around the finder.Then he welded it up and metal finished the wel seam..Looked just like a 1/3 size 34 ford fender...all by hand in about 2 hours explaneing each step...I think he has tapes of makeing this finder..................check him out..smart guy ! Tell him Barry sent you......................................Barry