All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Question Wire edge forming ideas needed

We are manufacturing older style tractor fenders with wire bead edge construction. (16 ga metal with a 250 dia. rod) we are currently using a custom made piece of machinery with multiple heads and folding over the edge. This involves some handwork and the result are acceptable, but was curious if there would be a better way. Does anyone have any experience using a MAGEE WIRE EDGE machine that was used to do this type of fenders?
Would anyone know where a machine is available? Are there any other options available? Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:10 PM

When I first became interested in metal shaping I bought a small sheet metal folder off a chap who made tractor fenders and, from memory, he had two complete Magee machines and one in pieces. He said they saved him so much time as they performed their task in minutes. I do remember him quoting what they cost new in the 1940's and it was equivalent to a certain type of car at the time. I've never seen one come up for sale, on here, or anywhere else for that matter. I think you'd need a certain amount of luck, or very good contacts, to get hold of one.

Not sure if that's any help to you
Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryM View Post
We are manufacturing older style tractor fenders with wire bead edge construction. (16 ga metal with a 250 dia. rod) we are currently using a custom made piece of machinery with multiple heads and folding over the edge. This involves some handwork and the result are acceptable, but was curious if there would be a better way. Does anyone have any experience using a MAGEE WIRE EDGE machine that was used to do this type of fenders?
Would anyone know where a machine is available? Are there any other options available? Any ideas are appreciated.
I spoke to a craftsman at John Deere a few years back, who said he did the Magee work on their fenders and hoods for 35 years. He was retiring and they were selling the machine. I an not aware of a machine that will replace the Magee, at this time. I do know there are several companies making repro vehicle parts now that use those machines.

I would recommend that you contact a metal worker by the name of Fay Butler, as I think he has personal experience with those machines.
http://www.faybutler.com/contact.htm

(I do know that once you get the Magee set up you do not want to change it over unless you have a lot of work for it .....)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Contact Dave Byron at Spence Industries. He sells an inexpensive device that can installed in any reciprocating machine, including Pullmaxes, Dakes, Baileighs, etc.

spenceindustries98@gmail.com