All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Chicago Pneumatic planishing hammer for sale

I’m offering my 24” CP planishing hammer plus 5 dies for $5500. if anyone might be interested. I had planned to list it on eBay but when I found out they wanted $100 just to put a reserve price on it I decided to pass till the Fall when eBay activity is back in full swing. The following is what I wrote for eBay minus the shipping particulars. If you want to get a freight quote I’d say figure 500 pounds mounted on a pallet, I have no way to weigh it exactly.

The following auction is for a 24” Chicago Pneumatic planishing hammer I have used in my shop for over 25 years. It is being sold with 5 dies so the new owner will be able to put this hammer to work immediately the day it arrives at his shop. Additional dies are readily available from Michigan Pneumatic Tool (313-933-5890) as well as from Hoosier Profiles (260-301-9034). It comes with air regulator and pressure gauge, a ball valve shut-off / fast restrictor valve plus oiler port valve and an original C.P. wood die holder for 4 dies mounted at the head for fast die changes. There is also a Scott Knight style lock to index directional dies mounted on the lower die post. I have owned several of these hammers over the years and can honestly say this hammer needs nothing, works 100% as it should and has made me $$$ over the years. I raised the lower arm and used this hammer to make over 600 pieces of ducting for the Osprey, one of the best paying jobs I’ve had in my shop. The only reason I’m selling it is because at the age of 69 I’m realizing I need to thin out my excess equipment, I may even auction off my white #2 Pettingell power hammer this fall or sometime next year. Generally I don’t run my auctions with reserves but many people just don’t go on line during the summer. If this hammer doesn’t make the reserve I will run it again without the reserve in late September or early October.
!!!!!!!!!!CP2.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!CP4.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!CP5.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!CP6.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!CP7.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!CP8.jpg
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM

THE HAMMER IS CURRENTLY SPOKEN FOR. I will post if the status changes.

I was going to post the following yesterday but ran out of time. There might be a trick for someone to learn so I will post even though the hammer is very likely sold.
A few more photos. The first 2 photos show the details of the directional die lock / indexer and why you don’t have to even touch it when switching to round dies. A photo of a younger me (no white hair) shaping ducting pieces for the Osprey with the lower arm raised up so the pieces could wrap around the arm while shaping. That was quite the job, it took over my whole shop for several months. A photo of my white Pettingell I will auction off at some point in the next year and finally I really did have 3 CP hammers in my shop at one time some 25 years ago. All of this was ready to go on eBay but they have just gotten too greedy lately. Anyway after prepping for the auction I get some satisfaction letting you guys see the photos. ~ John Buchtenkirch
!!!!!!!!!!CP44.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!CP55.JPG

!!!!!!!!!!CP12.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!CP20.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!CP23.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!CP21.jpg
Old 08-02-2017, 12:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
THE HAMMER IS CURRENTLY SPOKEN FOR. I will post if the status changes.
I was looking through an old catalogue this morning, 1978 - and found these ...

P1040105.jpg
P1040106.jpg

I bought some tools from this company back then, and while hunting around there I found a wooden crate in their warehouse that was being used as a step - I got them to open it up and it was a complete (new in wrappers) CP handheld planisher set, complete, deluxe. They wanted $1000 for it which was a fortune back then. I passed on it since I had a Seiden set, a Milwaukee set, and a Ram's Head set.

It's always nice to buy gear from a reputable craftsman ...

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

John, Thank you for sharing that indexing method.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Dan Pate picked up my hammer several weeks ago, I’ve just been too busy to post it. Here’s a few photos of Dan testing it (note the professional stance). I also want to mention that I’m not retiring now, just selling off some items that are in excess to my needs, my white #2 Pettingell will probably be the next to go. ~ John Buchtenkirch
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAN.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAN'S.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!CP23.jpg
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Great to have spent time with you and got to see your well equipped shop. Lots of eye candy and good conversation . Looking forward to the next trip out there
Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Yeah Dan, the short time we spent together swapping information was very enjoyable but it went by too quickly. Most of all I regret you didn’t try out my Pettingells to see how consistent / stable their hit points are especially since you are planning on setting up a #2 hammer yourself. You are welcome back any time ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 AM

Some good looking pieces there . Congrats