All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Maglio Helve Hammer

Good evening,

As mentioned in my introduction, I have restored a lot of Peugeot's in the last 3,5 decades and the last ones with/by a well known car restorer in Holland: Martin Dijkhof (website: http://www.autorestauraties.nl/ )

Martin has become a dear friend and I am helping him with finding some specific metal shaping machines, which were used by the old French and Italian coachbuilders.

I have seen that there are a lot of metal-shaping enthousiasts actif on this forum and I hope that someone can help us with the following question:

We are looking for a so called "Maglio Helve" Hammer, that is not a "Power Hammer" like a Eckold, but these machines have a long arm so that you can "hammer" a bigger sheet metal plate for, by example, a roof or bonnet. See foto:

Does anyone know the brand name(s)/ producer(s) from the Maglio's and/or where we can find such a machine ?

May also be a machine which must be restored, this is not a problem for Martin Dijkhof as he has restored the most of his own machines.

Distance is not a problem, we have found last year in France also a pretty rare Pfister "Three Olives" machine:

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/19/44/04/36/pfiste13.jpg

Many thanks in advance !

William
Holland
Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pays Bas View Post
Good evening,

As mentioned in my introduction, I have restored a lot of Peugeot's in the last 3,5 decades and the last ones with/by a well known car restorer in Holland: Martin Dijkhof (website: http://www.autorestauraties.nl/ )

Martin has become a dear friend and I am helping him with finding some specific metal shaping machines, which were used by the old French and Italian coachbuilders.

I have seen that there are a lot of metal-shaping enthousiasts actif on this forum and I hope that someone can help us with the following question:

We are looking for a so called "Maglio Helve" Hammer, that is not a "Power Hammer" like a Eckold, but these machines have a long arm so that you can "hammer" a bigger sheet metal plate for, by example, a roof or bonnet.
Does anyone know the brand name(s)/ producer(s) from the Maglio's and/or where we can find such a machine ?
May also be a machine which must be restored, this is not a problem for Martin Dijkhof as he has restored the most of his own machines.

Distance is not a problem, we have found last year in France also a pretty rare Pfister "Three Olives" machine:

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/19/44/04/36/pfiste13.jpg

Many thanks in advance !

William
Holland
Hi William,
Welcome to the forum.
You have provided some wonderful photos. I think you will get some nice responses here as the Helve has been popular in the US for a number of years.
I do know that a helve may be designed and built to have nearly the same characteristics as the Maglios, as an engineer friend of mine made the calculations, did some experiments, and built an example that worked very well.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:50 PM

Thanks Kent !

Yes there were some impressive machines built in those days and hopefully someone has a Maglio standing in a corner which is no longer being used !

William
Old 12-06-2017, 04:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

How are these types of machines controlled, in terms of operating speed? Do they run at a set speed once started or ? In the pic supplied, I don't see any type of pedal or similar method to control the run speed. Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

William, the 'olive' machine is only the second one of which I'm aware. Muhammad Awadi has one in France. He is on Facebook under Awadi Coachbuilding.

Most the Maglio's I'm aware of came out of Italy. Bill Longyard, a member here and an author of several metalshaping books, travels all over the world researching metalshaping and visiting shops. If anyone knows of where there might be one for sale, it would be him. You could send him a private message. I believe he is in Europe right now.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM

Hello Kerry,

Yes those Pfister Olive machines are not easy to come by and we have understood that there were only a handfull made.

Thank you for the tip, I will contact Bill Longyard and who knows may be there is one standing in a corner somewhere !

William
Old 12-07-2017, 02:02 AM

Hi William,

I attended Ray Schelin's class in the US a few years ago and Ray showed me a maglio in his workshop. Ray had an impressive selection of homemade e-wheels and I guess he also built the maglio. Might be worth contacting him.

Mike
Old 12-07-2017, 05:08 AM

Hi,
Sorry I misspelt Wray Shelin's name. I think his company is called ProShaper

Mike
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 AM

Guten Morgen Mike,

Thank you and I will contact him if he has a homemade or original one. It crossed our minds to build one, but an original Maglio which was used by the old coachbuilders has a preference.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Wray did build his helve. Tom Lipton developed his Helve plans from ideas he got from a visit to Wray's back around 2000 or so.