All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Default A Noob Tries Gas Welding

I consider myself pretty good with a MIG welder but this O/A welding is shredding my confidence. After about 4 hours of practice I finally got some decent results with steel.

16 GA, Meco Torch w/ #2 tip:

Hammer Test still shows some penetration issues:

Aluminum, not so much. 16 ga 3003 w/ #2 tip:

I think the steel is coming along better since I am just fusion welding it which is a lot like MIG welding in that there is no filler rod to deal with. Plus the puddle doesn't do weird things.

Aluminum on the other hand I have no idea what I am doing. I seem to do okay if I am just running a bead on solid sheet but when I go to do a butt weld the sides peal back like two lips. Try adding in filler rod and it is a complete cluster.

I do seem to do better holding the torch like a pencil as opposed to holding it like a knife so I think my torch position is still off. I am also still figuring out the torch settings. Should the torch whistle or does that mean I have the gas set to high? I set it like in the David G. DVD but I don't hear his whistling.

Thanks,

--louis
Old 08-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up

Not knowing exactly how you set it or your travel speed, My guess is its too hot (tip too big?) and you move too slow. you should comfortably slowly be able to move a puddle 3/16ish wide down a piece of blank (no seam) 19 ga at a nice comfortable pace, with good penetration.

I wouldn't recommend moving to a joint until you can do this in your sleep, while adding filler material.

Glad to see you trying new things! I gas weld all the time because it is fun, and it helps keep my skill level up all other welding processes. It's all about puddle control!

Marty
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '14

When I tried OA at work it was a failure.
I did a welding course and it was a snack.
My regs where no good, it caused me grief.
It took me to use other equipment to realize, if yours are old you may want to consider it.

Just a thought.

Marty is right it is fun, I don't use it enough, tig makes me lazy.
Jim

Last edited by ozi jim; 08-12-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks Marty and Jim for the input. So far I enjoy gas welding and plan to keep practicing.

--louis
Old 08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Gas welding is quite easy to learn if you are intending to weld sheet metal for panels. I learned to weld pipe and plate including overhead welding to city and guilds standard when I was 16. When I went to college to learn restoration work I had to forget petty much everything I was taught and learn a completely new technique. I have taught these methods to many people in my roll as a part time lecturer at Colchester Institute.

The thing is you don't need to become an expert coded welder to make good joints for panelwork.

The most crucial thing in my experience is setting up the flame correctly. If you don't have a good set of gauges it will mean you may have to re-set the flame often.

Gauges come in two types, single stage and multi stage. But the quality of the gauges is also important.

This is a weld done by one of my students after an hour or so of being taught on his first attempt.

Here is a link to my thread to my thread about the Colchester Institute course. Unfortunately it is now no longer in existence however I intend to hold classes at my workshop soon.
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=1552David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 08-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

For gas welding aluminum I cannot give enough praise to Kent White's video. http://www.tinmantech.com/html/vid_h..._weld_alum.php

I struggled with welding coupons of scrap aluminum for several months. I kept trying to weld it the way I did steel. Then I bought Kent's video. In a matter of an hour I was welding good seams in sheet metal. Here is a photograph of the project I needed to weld. It was my first ever metal shaping project, my first ever aluminum welding project, and my first ever metal polishing project.
It's formed from six pieces of .050 1100 aluminum. I still can't believe I pulled it off, given how little I knew about such things back then.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Welding is a very repetitive thing. You can watch someone for hours but you will see the same thing over and over. If you watch it done for a few minutes you will have all the information you need. I show an example of welding both steel and aluminium on my youtube footage.

A tip. Don't try to learn welding ally using 'coupons' the heat from gas welding will have you keep blowing holes. Use larger pieces to practice with. You will find your skills will improve immediately.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 08-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-S View Post
For gas welding aluminum I cannot give enough praise to Kent White's video. http://www.tinmantech.com/html/vid_h..._weld_alum.php

I struggled with welding coupons of scrap aluminum for several months. I kept trying to weld it the way I did steel. Then I bought Kent's video. In a matter of an hour I was welding good seams in sheet metal. Here is a photograph of the project I needed to weld. It was my first ever metal shaping project, my first ever aluminum welding project, and my first ever metal polishing project.
It's formed from six pieces of .050 1100 aluminum. I still can't believe I pulled it off, given how little I knew about such things back then.

Wow that is gorgeous Richard. That makes the track roadster nose I want to do look easy. I bought the aluminum kit form tinman tech and have watched the first video. Are you using the Meco torch and if so what size tip for the .050?

Edit: I see your down in Oaxaca. We have good friend who owns a Bed & Breakfast down there who has been after us to visit for ages. It is such a beautiful area. One day.

Thanks,

--louis

Last edited by louisfbrooks; 08-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Welding is a very repetitive thing. You can watch someone for hours but you will see the same thing over and over. If you watch it done for a few minutes you will have all the information you need. I show an example of welding both steel and aluminium on my youtube footage.

A tip. Don't try to learn welding ally using 'coupons' the heat from gas welding will have you keep blowing holes. Use larger pieces to practice with. You will find your skills will improve immediately.

David
I have your video and I have watched it several times and i will get the second one when it is done. I will keep practicing with the aluminum and steel. If I ever got across the pond I will see about taking your class.

Thanks,

--louis
Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Oh and I have Victor medium duty gauges set at 2 - 3 lbs for both O and A.

Thanks,

--louis