All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Can 7075 aluminum be tig welded ?

Is 7075 aluminum tig weld-able ? I’ve got to replace a missing E on a weather vane, a free for a buddy job I don’t want to do twice . Thanks in advance ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Default yes

it can be welded but not structually, the problem you will have is post heat......7075 want to crack when cooling.....if post heat is added and cools slowly.....you might get it to work.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

No, it isn't possible to any acceptable degree.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Default esab

Q - I come into contact with two aluminum alloys of which I have found difficulty in obtaining information about arc welding. These alloys are 2024 and 7075. Can you provide me with information on how to weld these alloys with either the GMAW or GTAW process?
A –The reason you are having difficulty finding information on welding 2024 and 7075 is that both of these materials belong to a small group of aluminum alloys that are generally considered as being unweldable by the arc welding process. These materials are often found on aircraft, sporting equipment and other types of high-performance, safety-critical equipment and are not usually arc welded on the original component. Probably, the two most commonly found aluminum alloys within this category are 2024, which is an aluminum, copper, magnesium alloy, and 7075, which is an aluminum, zinc, copper, magnesium alloy. Both of these materials can become susceptible to stress corrosion cracking after welding. This phenomenon is particularly dangerous because it is not detectable immediately after welding, and usually develops at a later date when the component is in service. The completed weld joint can appear to be of excellent quality immediately after welding. However, changes which occur within the base material adjacent to the weld during the welding process, can produce a metallurgical condition within these materials which can result in intergranular micro cracking, which may be susceptible to propagation and eventual failure of the welded component. The probability of failure can be high, and the time to failure is generally unpredictable and dependent on variables such as tensile stress applied to the joint, environmental conditions, and the period of time which the component is subjected to these variables.
It is strongly recommended that great care be taken when considering the repair of components made from these materials. It must be stressed that if there is any possibility of a weld failure becoming the cause of damage or injury to person or property, do not perform repair work by arc welding on these alloys and then return them to service.

from esab's site
Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

THANKS GUYS, I don’t even want to think about doing this freebe job twice so I will find some other material. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

John, here is a link about 7050 aluminum. It is not weldable.
http://www.steelforge.com/alloys/?alloy=7050

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM

I have welded both with a spoolgun. I would never do anything structural but for something ornamental that will never really see any stress I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just make sure to have some post heat on it.