All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 PM

Default UTE A pillar question

have a question that may be able to be answered by some of the aussies out there. The above photos are of the A pillar on a customers FB ute. As can be seen, some less than good "repairs" have been executed in the past leaving me with no real idea of how these pillars and more importantly, subframe attachment areas are supposed to look. If anyone out there has some photos or even better, dimensions for these pillars, I would greatly appreciate some assistance.
IMG_2520.jpgIMG_2521.jpgIMG_2522.jpgIMG_2523.jpg
Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 PM

G'Day Peter.
Those lower A Pillars are exactly as seen in your pics, the lower outer front sub-frame mounts through that hole and the inner one mounts maybe 2 foot on the inside near floor tunnel.
These areas are notorious for rusting out as well as the outer upper front firewall sub-frame mounting near the bonnet hinge mount.
Just copy what you have have except where the inner the inside piece is, the floor goes right to the outer sill and there should be a cross floor brace near to where the mounting hole location is.
If you google FB EK Forums, sign up you can access all and any info and pics on the (my fb ek page)
Ive fitted struts to my EK so no photos will help you.
If you search for forum user EKDAVE here on this site, he maybe able to help you with some pics.
Regards John
Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanks John, I've had a quick stalk on the FB EK forum and any of the photos that would've been been relevant were uploaded from photobucket and can no longer be viewed. Given you think the general shape is not too far off from what's in my photos, I think I'll just proceed to replicate the basic shape and then refit the front subframe to ascertain the correct position for the mounting bolts. I've already removed the crossmember under the floor as it had the usual rust at each end (poorly repaired), and some horrible modifications over the tunnel to allow for a bigger gearbox. I've discovered that the usual modification is to fit an EK auto tunnel for extra clearance. I've been in communication with the engineer who will ultimately sign off on this car and he's happy for me to simply raise the tunnel and make a new crossmember provided there is no loss of depth of section in the crossmember where it goes over the tunnel. I'll continue this thread by documenting the process as I go. Once again John, thanks for your help.