All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2020, 09:29 PM

Default ok, pictures....

Here's a couple of links to pictures...hopefully links are allowed?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...5HZ3lMYnZsdURZ

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SxonYpnYCqHMS3ya8
Old 02-22-2020, 02:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

You can work on a lathe or press. Depending on the number of pieces or your options. You can do it from solid material or sheet metal. 1 - 100pcs I would easy do on the from the full material.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:28 AM
Administrator

What is the quality problem you have? I notice in the pictures that the small hole end is also recessed, what is the depth of the recess? Do you polish the brass or does it come to you polished?

You can probably make this with the proper dies and press. Dead soft, annealed, brass is what you need to start with. Punch a blank 1" in diameter using a die that marks the center of the of the circle. That mark will be used to line the die up to punch the holes and form the recess for the small hole.

You would need to have a die made that would hold the blank, centered where it can't move sideways and guides the top die into the bottom die that is tapered to form the sides that fit around the OD of the tube. The top die would form the shape and push the cup out of the bottom. You could probably make a removable piece for the bottom die to put the recess for the small hole. I don't know, without trying if there will be any earing, unevenness, at the top of the cup. If there is it would be small. During the pressing process lubrication is important.

Then you would need a punch with the proper dies to punch the holes. If you punch the holes first you stand the chance of not having a perfectly round hole.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:30 PM

Larry, here's a video on making copper bullets. The first two steps show how to make tooling to punch the blank and draw the cup. Thereafter, you'd need to add another punch/press tool to punch out the centre hole and press the rebate. As Joe mentions, you will need soft, annealed sheet metal to draw the cup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JVm76Y37I

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Here is where you can buy dead soft brass sheet.

https://www.monsterslayer.com/Pages/...CopBrasSW.aspx

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

That size with the short flange these would be good candidates for press work. You'd start with a round blank the desired size plus the twice the height of the flange. The forming die would have a hole the size of the finished part with a rounded to edge and a couple of locating pins in the top surface to set the blank against. The punch would be the diameter of the tube. The part gets pushed right through the die and the flange gets "ironed" smooth in the process.

Then you'll need a couple more punches for your holes.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the answer! The question that I'm having the hardest time answering now is where to get a die? I'm guessing people on these forums make their own dies... I don't have a lathe - Am I going to find a place willing to make 1-2 dies?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fciron View Post
That size with the short flange these would be good candidates for press work. You'd start with a round blank the desired size plus the twice the height of the flange. The forming die would have a hole the size of the finished part with a rounded to edge and a couple of locating pins in the top surface to set the blank against. The punch would be the diameter of the tube. The part gets pushed right through the die and the flange gets "ironed" smooth in the process.

Then you'll need a couple more punches for your holes.