All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

Default corvair rampside (burned metal restoration)

HI metal shaping community! at last the wife and I have a project we can really get into some shaping! Its really going to be exciting.

we already have placed the truck on my whirly-jig at the owners shop. He had already removed most of the truck.

had some collision with a tree years ago and the front was never fully repaired

inspect top of photo for collison with tree. also note damage to metal above headlight. should be a fun repair!!

this window will be made to look like the next photo. the interior sheet metal will need to be entirely rebuilt including adding an inner sheet metal headliner much like the late 60's c-10 pick ups. Trying to keep all modifications tasteful and how GM might have done them in the 60's if they were trying to make a higher quality truck.

this is the concept of the ramp side from the 50's very cool! We want to make the truck share some of the omited qualities this truck displays.

This brings us to the rear of the truck.... The truck has had an engine fire. while the panels do not seem as badly warped as other car fires I have seen I know it is still worse then what the owner thinks. I have heard things about burned metal and rather then say what I think I know on the subject I really could use some help on picking fact from fiction regarding burned metal.

more burned metal

undercoating and such near the burned panels do not seem so bad? until I strip all coatings off I do not know if they are warped.

Oh to shave that drip rail and only have it over the doors like the 80's silverado....

the badly burned side. but oddly the area I feared damage the most has had its paint burned off and you can see spots of filler burned but the metal around the side vent is straight!

more burned metal. here you can see the warping in the corner under the passenger tail light.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Looks like a decent rampside for restoration. Should be an interesting project for you. Will you have to put it all back together or just do the body work and paint?

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Looks like a great project. Please keep us posted. Had an engine fire this summer in a 356 Porsche. Fortunately had a CO2 extinguisher handy and did no metal damage. Had to repaint the engine lid was about it.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Looks like a decent rampside for restoration. Should be an interesting project for you. Will you have to put it all back together or just do the body work and paint?
Probably will help see this car through completion. The owner of the truck is enjoyable to be around and with the last corvair we did he came in once everything was painted and we assembled the truck together. Its nice to have a second hand. especially around fresh paint! with your metallurgy knowlege what can I expect to deal with burned metal? is it tempered and now is more brittle? is it possible to shrink/stretch/dolly this panel back to its original shape? or do is it justifiable to make new quarters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcar View Post
Looks like a great project. Please keep us posted. Had an engine fire this summer in a 356 Porsche. Fortunately had a CO2 extinguisher handy and did no metal damage. Had to repaint the engine lid was about it.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Brent, it depends, many Corvairs had fires some could be repaired without changing panels. Looking at the pictures it doesn't look like too bad except for the bottom passenger panel at the corner. The tail light lens housings still seem to be there, that is a good sign. How the fire was put out also has an affect on what you can do with it.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM

the truck is at the shop now!

I removed the front cab corner, and started repairing the damage there. going to get to make a part that goes under that. also we pressure washed the truck.

i have a shopping list of modifications to make this cleaner that is a full page long.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM

shelly prepped up the suspension parts on our new home made racks and we painted them today. here shelly is enjoying the great spring weather while she hand sands the small flaws off the panels.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM

Fire damage, not a big deal from what I see.

Hauling a Uni-body on a roll-back on a rotisserie... That takes big ones

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2015 ,Sept. 2017

Looks like you will be busy for a while.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Good luck with the Corvair Brent, and keep those pictures coming!!