All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-11-2011, 02:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

One thing I have to add is don't go to these meets and bench race, or watch with your hands in your pockets. Get into , or bring a project. You can learn a little from watching, but you need to get metalshaping if you really want to get the most out of the meet. Don't be afraid to make scrap either. It's all a learning process. The learning curve is alot better when you are making scrap with some really expearienced people around to help explain what's going on.

The other good thing is the people you meet and the freinds you make. You are able to put faces to the names. The people on these forums that really know how to shape sheetmetal are here to help. No doubt no matter what level you are at in this art there is ALWAYS something to learn, but the leasons come easier when you understand the basics of shape-shrink-stretch and whre it's needed.

I say if there is a meet in your area and you are within driving distance you should be there. And don't forget, the people who provide the shop space, and utilities should get a little back. If there is a kitty be sure to throw some in. Or bring some food. If the member with the shop has to carry the burdon of feeding people, providing materials, and clean shop space with no help or compensation it won't be a regular meet.... Take care of the host and they will take care of you.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 AM

I agree Dyce. That last paragraph sums it all up.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Meet Hosts

Default get involved

Dyce, you hit it right on the head! I hope people come ready to get hands on . If this goes well I may consider expanding to a multi-day event in the future. Allready got some e-mail responses and other interest!

Andy (guesswork)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM

tonight i'll figure out if i have to work at date... ill think of something to make (probably some type of scrap) andy, if i throw you some money can i get some sheet metal or am i suppose to bring some myself (gotta find a place that isn't lowes)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Meet Hosts

Default michigan meet

Raley we will have a variety of materials available at the meet. All I ask is for a donation if you use a good portion of it. Call me in advance if you have an idea of what you might need.

Andy(guesswork)
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Sounds good. Thanks a lot for everything