All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Drawing quality steel vs. standard cold rolled mild steel

Just curious, how much harder am I making it for myself using standard cold rolled mild steel (18 gauge) vs a drawing quality?

What is the cost of drawing quality? Average price of a 4x8 sheet of 18 gauge standard cold rolled mild steel around me is about $65.
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Rob, it is considerably and noticeably softer. That said, it's not used that often except for deep shaping or deep drawing parts. I have no idea what it costs. I can't even get 19ga steel in my part of the world. I usually get it when I go see friends up north where it is more common.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Rob, the last I picked up was earlier this year on the way to Will's. It was from Pennsylvania Steel on Rt27 in Stanley NC. Sorry, I bought all they had. They may have restocked by now though... At the time it was 85+ a sheet for the qty of 14 sheets. You need a large group buy to get it reasonable..

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 12-10-2018, 02:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Rob, have you called Stock Car Steel up in Mooresville? https://www.stockcarsteel.com/cold-r...ak-steel-sheet
They keep some lighter gauge drawing quality crs in stock and have been more receptive to other inquiries I have made. Small quantity orders are still not cheap, but at least they know what you're talking about and why you would want it. The only reason I didn't go through them earlier this year was because I got some of the 19 gauge Robert brought to Will's in April.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Alro

I purchased my 19ga draw quality from Alro steel. @ $120.00 each for a order of 3 sheets. This price reflects a lite discount for a larger order and takes advantage of the shipping. I found it much easier to form in less time and a slight improvement to the panels' over all appearance. As advised by others on this site, 80-90% of the panel must be worked (rolled, curved, shrunk / stretched) in order to work harden the material. Do not use it for structural components.
Regards, John
Old 12-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB86 View Post
Just curious, how much harder am I making it for myself using standard cold rolled mild steel (18 gauge) vs a drawing quality?

What is the cost of drawing quality? Average price of a 4x8 sheet of 18 gauge standard cold rolled mild steel around me is about $65.
RB86
You will note that the posters responding to you are discussing 19 ga. Most older cars use 19 ga. not 18. 19 ga. cold rolled is also hard to find, but is probably what you should be looking for.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I agree...… 19 gauge drawing quality is perfect for most of the Ford repairs from the thirties, maybe a smidge heavy when it comes to latter cars. So much nicer than working the usual cold rolled 18 gauge but not so thin that it's real tricky to butt weld. Overall a great choice...…. I wish I had a few more sheets in my shop . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2015

If you make a panel up from draw quality and it needs louvers.

I found I had to reset the die shear clearances

They formed nice but the cuts were burred

Experiment with some scraps before you punch your panel.

Ron
Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
RB86
You will note that the posters responding to you are discussing 19 ga. Most older cars use 19 ga. not 18. 19 ga. cold rolled is also hard to find, but is probably what you should be looking for.
My 1950 and 1956 Cadillacs are 18 gauge for whatever it's worth.
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Old 12-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Default AK Steel

Over the years I have gained knowledge regarding sheet steel (sheet metal) and one thing recently regarding gauge and decimal thickness. 20 GA has a range thickness as does every other gauge. Large manufacturers ordering large quantities can get it to their specifications. So an appliance manufacturer may specify .032" 20 GA while a lawn mower manufacturer may want .036" 20 GA.?? ALRO lists .041" AK Drawing under 20 GA which I assume could be considered 19 GA. They claim to stock it. I am going to find out Monday. A surplus sheet metal dealer in Arkansas enlightened me a year or two ago. I cant remember his name or find his contact information.