All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-15-2017, 05:43 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Very nice Marcus.
I get something from every one of your posts.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Hi Marcus,
I sure enjoy your progress postings. Clear and organized, with very nice workmanship and tidy design work. Such skills should be in greater supply....

Seeing your Willys re-creation I felt nudged to go somewhat in that direction and acquire one of these to have for general forest work out here:

Name:  old M37.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  22.8 KB
(- I don't have the time to make a 4wd + winch something in a pickup truck ... and this became available, recently ...)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Very nice Marcus.
I get something from every one of your posts.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Hi Marcus,
I sure enjoy your progress postings. Clear and organized, with very nice workmanship and tidy design work. Such skills should be in greater supply....

Seeing your Willys re-creation I felt nudged to go somewhat in that direction and acquire one of these to have for general forest work out here:

Attachment 43594
(- I don't have the time to make a 4wd + winch something in a pickup truck ... and this became available, recently ...)
Many thanks and love your M37. Don't see many of those here as would only be a private import.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 AM

Bought a universal electric window kit. I went with the motor off around the side rather than fitted directly to the bottom of the guide rail to give me more mounting options.

Before committing to cutting out my final window template, I wanted to make sure it went into the door deep enough. You need a minimum of 38mm-1.5" below the window sill to make sure it won't foul when the window is fully up. I made it 50mm-2" to give me a bit of room.

I thought the best place in height would be that the mounting bracket would sit directly over the ridge on the inner panel. Would be more strength there and the bolts heads would sit inside the ridge making them near flush so the door card would not bulge over them.

Still enough room for the motor to be off the bottom of the door. The motor is normally faced toward the hinges.

Transferring the cardboard template over to some MDF bracing board that was 5mm-3/16" thick. I choose this thickness as was the same as the stock glass that was in there. Can also see the 1/2" I added extra to the bottom. Also made sure the front and back edges were square to each other.

The best place to centre the guide rail of the electric window system is at the balance point. This would be the middle if top and bottom, plus both sides were parallel to each other, but not the case with one piece windows. So I found the point by balancing it over a round pencil and marked the spot. Primitive but effective.

No trimming was needed and fitted first go. The balance point of the template was marked from top to bottom so I could workout where the the electric window needed to be fitted.

No binding as it went down either. I could also mark the door where the balance line was at different points. It must remain exactly parallel to the window channels on each side though.

To know what the distance from the mount to the glass needed to be, I measured from inside the panel to the side of the template close to where the bolts would go. Did the same for the bottom mount.

This is flipped around to show how much needs to be trimmed off the top to fit inside the door and have the mount on the ridge. Balance point line on the template tells me where to mount the guide rail left to right inside the door. I had it lined up exactly in the middle of the left and right glass clamps.

The ruler inside the clamps for the glass gives me where to measure too from the inside panel to the glass. It measured 38mm and I only needed 32mm. So I flatted the mounting bracket enough to loose the 6mm extra.

The two mounting bolts are now holding it in place. I made sure the guide rail was parallel to the window channel to stop any binding. Also put a straight edge across the template to make sure it stayed flat as it went up and down to check the mounting position was right depth wise. Our American Akita doing a photo bomb!

The bottom mount had to be flatten some as well as wanted it to sit back a bit from the panel face. You can make out the bolt I will use also to support the motor itself.

A simple bracket with a little joggle in it secures the bottom of the guide rail. Made up a Z bracket for the motor to keep it supported and off the door skins. Could have also bolted with a spacer directly through the inner panel, but didn't want the thick bolt head to stick out.

Last edited by Gojeep; 10-22-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:38 AM

Just added some missing photos and info to the last post.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:45 AM

Your attention to detail, pictures, and explanations is fantastic. I truly enjoy this read.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Thanks Marcus.
I wouldn't have even thought about the balance point of the glass.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 10-22-2017, 11:54 AM

I learned something new all the time i read this thread
Old 10-23-2017, 05:03 AM

Many thanks for the comments.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 AM

I always smile when Marcus posts his latest frolics

Perhaps its just the understated way he drops his titbits of knowledge. Things that us guys ought to be aware of . CG of the glass .. Yeah, eventually I would have figured out the importance of getting that part right

You are one talented Kiwi .

Yes, yes, you may have been born in Aussie but I am adopting you ( and Neil, yes, Pommy Neil) as bona fide South Islanders

Huge respect for your talents and willingness to share Marcus

Cheers John