All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 PM

Default Here to learn

Hi AllMetalShaping,

So I have this sickness, it is an addiction to rusty piles that were once roadworthy early water cooled Volkswagens. The worst symptom of my disease is impulse purchasing of sight unseen vehicles.

My most recent purchase is a 1987 VW Fox wagon. In Brazil where they were produced they are called the Parati. Unfortunately the one I jumped on didn't come with a floor.....or rocker panels.....or inner door sills....or arches....etc...

This is okay though because life is about the journey not the destination. This is the car that will teach me all about shaping panels, welding and doing bodywork the right way with the minimum amount of filler required.

Besides I have a dream....

Another 80's era VW that I enjoy working on is the Iltis. This is a Dakar rally winning 4x4 first produced for the German military by VW, then produced by Bombardier for the Canadian and Belgian military, then production was taken over again by VW once more for the Germans.

I have this extra Iltis chassis that doesn't have a body. Both the Iltis and the Fox have an inline engine arrangement......so the dream is a Fox bodied Iltis. An Iltox or Filtis if you will.

So that's my goal and I'm here to learn by watching and listening and asking questions and a lot of trial and error I am sure.

"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

"No, no, NO. THIS one goes THERE, THAT one goes THERE."
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Hi Nathan welcome to the forum
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Peter,
Thank you for the welcome. I'm looking forward to being an active member of this talent rich community and not just lurking in the background.

"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

"No, no, NO. THIS one goes THERE, THAT one goes THERE."