All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Posting Pictures
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 PM

Default Power hammer die questions

Does anyone know what angle the dovetail is for yoder style hammer dies, also on the die holder upper and lower, is there a taper in the opening? I'm Thinking it is 1 1/2 degrees on one side and straight on the other, also I was wondering how deep the dovetail slot is. Thanks guys
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM

An old thread, I know, but it would be nice to see the answer. I'm wondering if the retaining keys are tapered over the length only or length and width. Anyone got some dovetail and key dimensions they'd like to share?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM

I would ask Fay Butler. He makes dies for sale and he wrote a book on the Yoder. faybutler.com

If anyone would know it would be him. I have read that changing the dies in the dovetail mount while maintaining alignment with that wedge thing is difficult

Last edited by sblack; 01-18-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

im pretty sure he said 1 degree taper for the lock pin. as far as the angle of the dovetail itself i dont remember. ill check my notes tonight
Old 01-18-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
im pretty sure he said 1 degree taper for the lock pin. as far as the angle of the dovetail itself i dont remember. ill check my notes tonight
They look to be about 10 degree per side on the dovetail but are obviously offset to allow for the width of the key. From what I've read elsewhere, I saw figure of 1/8" per foot taper with the small side being the left of the anvil (die mount) mentioned. I've read dozens of posts today but the only real figures I can find is that the large Yoder dies are 3" square and that's about it. I'm sure a lot of these features can be made to what suits you but it would be nice to find some original dimensions.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
I would ask Fay Butler. He makes dies for sale and he wrote a book on the Yoder. faybutler.com

If anyone would know it would be him. I have read that changing the dies in the dovetail mount while maintaining alignment with that wedge thing is difficult
Could be worth a look, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
They look to be about 10 degree per side on the dovetail but are obviously offset to allow for the width of the key. From what I've read elsewhere, I saw figure of 1/8" per foot taper with the small side being the left of the anvil (die mount) mentioned. I've read dozens of posts today but the only real figures I can find is that the large Yoder dies are 3" square and that's about it. I'm sure a lot of these features can be made to what suits you but it would be nice to find some original dimensions.
You are correct, the angled dovetail surfaces are 10 degrees from square or 20 degrees from each other. The taper of the dovetail slot in the anvil and the die keys is 1/8” per foot, the dovetails on the dies are machined parallel. Standard dies 3” square or 2 ¼” square but I have many dies that are oddball sizes……… the more important thing IMO is they are all the same height to make changing them out easier. The dove tail slot in the anvil should be about an inch deep while the dovetails on the dies are 7/8" to 15/16” so they don’t bottom out in the slot. That should allow several shims to be placed under the dies to move them closer together.

The photo below is Red’s #2 Pettingell mounted to a Yoder cast base. The carful observer will notice the shims spacing the dies together and also the crank pin is nearly centered for a short stroke. My guess is he was probably using it for aluminum or possibly planishing a panel. By the way there is a section for “power hammers” in metal shaping tools where this thred really belongs. Maybe a narrator will move it. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Red's #2 Pettingell.jpg
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the reply John. Obviously, it's not my thread but, I agree, it's in the wrong section.

Out of interest, what sort of thickness would the dovetail keys be? I'm guessing at around 3/16" to 1/4" but it'd be nice to know for sure.

I understand what you are saying about die height and that makes perfect sense. I've done a bit of scaling on other people's photos and it looks like the 3" dies sit at about 2.1/2" high and the 2.1/4" dies at around 1.3/4" height. Just estimations on my part but those proportions look about right to me.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM

How long does it take to change dies in one of these?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
How long does it take to change dies in one of these?
The "hammermen" I have asked (Leo Berger, Jack Hagemann, etc) about this all said, "about 6 hours."

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.