All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Default its too cold today!

I have been converting an old cattle barn into a shop. (The build is on Garage Journal if you care to look) I didn’t get a cement floor in till the end of October. After busting my butt till mid December I finally lost a lot of steam. I hate working in insulated clothing. I can work at 40 all day long but once I can see my breath it really slows me down.

Hank Rearden
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Most winter days in my race shop in Canada the temperature inside was only 50 degrees. With outside temperatures of 20 below, 50 was an accomplishment and it felt warm.

The coldest I have been is working outside in Winnipeg in February welding. With the wind chill it was well below zero.

As for your original question of "how cold is too cold?" A friend of mine from South Carolina was on a winter trip to Montreal. He has a habit of twisting his mustache, when he did it was so cold outside his mustache broke off in his hand. "That is TOO cold."

Scott
welders360
Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Yeah, my shop is pretty cold right now too, during the day it's between 40 and 50 degrees. Cold dollies and wrenches can sure hurt your hands, so along with the usual stuff, I have been wearing some $1.40 knit walmart gloves to help with grabbing or holding cold tools, they don't protect against drafts very well, and they are not very tough, but they are not bulky and are good for detail work, they sure help when it comes time to hold uninsulated cold tools!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Miles View Post
Any suggestions for a good electrician for the Everett, WA area?
Well.......? A buddy of mine might be interested however he is in Puyallup.
(too far?)
PM me some info. I'll ask him. He does live work, the big stuff is no problem. He made my shop conduit look like artwork.

Too cold? varies everyday. Been happy @ 15 outside maybe 30 in the shop.
Somedays 50 seems too cold. For me the moist cold air is the killer.
Cold and dry is good.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Going by that garage picture I wonth last five minutes in there.....
that is what I call snow under
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 12-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
Going by that garage picture I wonth last five minutes in there.....
that is what I call snow under
Peter
Hi Peter. Winters in Melbourne, are easy just put a jumper on. It's the summer's that are a killer!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Default barry larson

Kerry I dont think it is the cold as much as the age of the worker...Being from Minnesota gives us guys a head start because we are real hard core....Rember 18....Out in the grage working on the 55 chev with no heat...tools were real cold though but got her done! 25 and 2 kids........grage of my own old oil stove and plastic sheating in the walls and cealing but no insulation....allmost warm enough to paint primer in winter.... 45 new house mew shop gas heat and insulation.....-25 outside and crank her up to tea shirt temp ! Life is good............68 same heated shop temp set at 45.....cars are warm and we are in AZ ! A guy could take one wall at a time and insulate part of the shop....think of all the new stuff you could find while cleaning.... Sounds like you had a good time up north....More tools is good ! Be good. Barry
Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 AM

Default 50

The answer to your Question Kerry is 50F. I would not live in N TX if I liked cold weather.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM

I agree on that. It have been 5-10C (40-50F) here for a couple of weeks. But now were going down to 5-10C below freezing (-14 to -23F). But my shop is fully insulated and heated, so it stays at 15-20C (59-68F). The humidity is always below 50%, so rust is not a problem. I invested in a lot of insulation, so it does not cost me much to keep the temperature up. It did cost a bit, but I call it retirement insurance. Now I know I can keep a nice temperature with low cost. It also keeps the shop cold during hot summer days.

I have laid down circulating water heating in the floor. Not connected to heat source yet. Drilling holes is no problem as I got pictures of all the pipes. And they are tied to the rebar, so I can confirm using a scanner.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8007.jpg (38.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8010.jpg (30.5 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Einar_S; 12-30-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:56 PM

Default Free Heat

Ya'll are crazy to heat like that,,,,,This is the real way to heat a garage,,,,,go find an fuel oil furnace and then call this guy,,,CK burners at 410-746-1631,,,,or check him out on the web ckBurners.com,,,,,have been heating my house and garage for two years for free,,,it changes from a oil pump to air pressure and for $320 the conversion is easy and works great,,,,similar to the way a paint gun works but with heated drain oil,,,,,,QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COLD,,,,,when you can be warm for free.....just my 2 cents...