All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Meet Hosts

Default Michigan Metalshapers Gathering 2018

Well its time to announce the Michigan Metalshapers Gathering for 2018. This is the 8th time I have hosted this and it continues to get better each year. Last year we had some students from a local art school come and I think there eyes where really opened up to what can be done with some very basic tools and techniques. We have always had a good mix of novice and experienced shapers attend. This year the dates are April 27+28. That is a Friday and Saturday. We will start at 9AM and go to roughly 6PM. The first day we will cover some more basic metalshaping tools and tricks. Saturday we will explore some more advanced techniques and play with some of the bigger tools. We will have a nice lunch available mid-day for a donation. As always I encourage people to bring some small project of theirs as these always trigger some great discussion and help everyone see something new. If you have never been to one of these events, I can tell you it's pretty informal. We don't really have a set agenda. I like to let the group decide on what they want to explore. I encourage hands on metalshaping and try not to let it be all about the "tools". If you are considering the purchase of a new tool this is a great way to see if it's really something you need. The cost is the same as last year. $40 per person per day. We will try to cut it off at 24 people per day max. Please register by calling Andy at 269-948-9474 9-5 M-F. Or mail me a note at 5625 Upton Rd Hastings Mi. 49058. If you have any questions you can also call the number above. I know we have a lot of new members on this site in the past year. I hope some of you will consider this event.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Meet Hosts

Well the event is getting a good response. I have gotten a lot of calls so far. I was also approached by the Kalamazoo Institute of the Arts about putting on a demonstration at there studioOn Apr 21. Check there website for more info under visiting artists(sculpture) if you're interested in basic hand tool metalshaping in an" art" context. Please call soon if you are interested in coming to the Metalshapers Gathering on Apr 27-28. Call 269-948-9474 9-5 M-F ask for Andy.

Andy Geelhoed (guesswork)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Meet Hosts

Roughly one month out on the 2018 event. Still have room for a few more people. Any of the new members who have joined recently should consider going to a event like this. No matter what your skill level is you will enjoy meeting other people and sharing ideas and knowledge with them. If anyone is interested or has any questions please call me (Andy) at 269-948-9474 9-5 M-F EST.

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Another great event Andy! It's always a pleasure to see what you're working on and your methods.
Here's a pic explaining on and off dolly smoothing of a weld joint.
IMG_20180428_104656335.jpg
Old 04-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Andy also showed us some hammer form pieces as well as some done for his own complete custom.
IMG_20180428_121253095.jpg
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Another great event And! It's always a pleasure to see what you're working on and your methods.
Here's a pic explaining on and off dolly smoothing of a weld joint.
Attachment 46846

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 04-29-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Meet Hosts

thanks Mike and thanks to all the guys and gal that came out for the event. We had some rookies and some veteran "returning" guests and it was great to see all the interest and hear about what every one is working on. I always want to focus on the things that mean the most to the people who come to this event. If they have the desire it fires me up. So thanks again to all who came out. Now I just have to get my shop back to normal!

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Thanks for the pictures, Mike. Can you or Andy show more pics of the hammer forms? that looks like a pretty deep 'draw', and looks impressive when completed. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM

Those were the only pictures I took. Yes, he does get some depth with his pieces. Andy explains the process using caulking tools to start around the perimeter at the top edge and then patiently works the metal using gentle appropriate hammer blows to the get the shape close. Then hand planishing to get the finish smooth for sanding.

Andy is quite talented, resourceful and an entertaining instructor.

Last edited by Mike Motage; 04-30-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Andy,

Thank you for a fun and very educational event. I learned a lot and got some good ideas on things to make for the shop.