All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Default Sketchup learning & using

Sitting here recuperating after prostate surgery, I decided to try to make good use of my not in the shop time

Modeling software is a really neat tool that I would love to learn. Problem is:

1. I'm old, & don t learn software quickly. I can "dink away" in the shop, making something that takes hours, but to go around in maddening digital circles on the computer, feels like paying taxes
2. I'd rather spend $2 or $3k on something made of iron & steel than Modeling software....maybe it the old thing again

Anyway, my son (computer geek) comes to visit & sets me up with the FREE
version of Sketchup.
for the last several days, between naps, & being held captive to chair & close to the bathroom, I work to learn the software. Kind of clunky, but I think it might work for me

I guess I'm on their info/mail list & just got the following that Maybe be of interest to you folks here so thought Id share

http://sketchupdate.blogspot.com/201...9qt6YJWg%3D%3D

Any comments

Happy Holidays to all of you fine folks, so willing to share, and be patient with all of us noobs

ed

"To Be or To Do" John Boyd
Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Ed,

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery from the prostrate surgery.

I applaud you for taking up a new challenge in mastering Sketchup. It seems to be a popular and very capable tool.

Several years ago there was a lot of buzz on these forums about a ,then free, cad program called Alibre. I jumped on it and tried but was not very sucessful in mastering it. I had used Turbocad for about 15 years and the transition was difficult. The problem is for the "experienced" (old) brain to let go of the 2 dimensional paper concept and accept the idea of drawing in 3 dimensional space.

What I did do was purchase the professional version of the software thinking it would be easier. I'm still trying to rationalize that idea. However, I did then own a "piece of the rock". An $800 piece of the rock. I gave up and set it on the shelf.

fast forward to today. I decided to attck the 3D CAD learning curve once again. Loaded the Alibre on my computer and found out the tutorials had expired so I contacted the vendors. The new company is called Geomagic express and of course the software has been upgraded and costs several thousand dollars. Good news though, I could upgrade including the training stuff for $400.

Well the new software is "magic"; much easier to learn. Still a steep learning curve but well worth it.

Ed, the great part of these 3d drawing programs is that they allow the creative part of the mind to just operate at warp speed. And there is no material to buy, no cleanup and no "now where do I store this new contraption?".

Good Luck Ed and keep us posted on your progess.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 AM

anyone using Sketchup for metal shaping applications?

Wondering how much effort I should put into learning the software?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 AM

My sons both are CAD wizards, but steep learning curve for me. I have Rhino 3D loaded on a computer, fascinating program for how much it can do. There is a "surface to flat" tool. Once you are using the tools, it just comes quicker.

Looking at Youtube, I did see a sketchup demo showing going from a model to a flat surface. Handy tool for laying out sheet metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcnyFolpVBg

(The heavy clicking is annoying, but looks like it has all the details you need to do this)

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without also helping himself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Best of luck with the recovery.
Been there, got the ticket.
Dont do what I did, scratch the itch on my ankle with my other foot.
Turned the tap, got a slipper full!!!!!!!
Look on the bright side - I nearly died laughing.
Like I said - Best of luck.
Oh, on the proper subject - I use Autocad.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 PM

I use Alibre' 12 and have done some body and roof profiles on it just to see if it's possible, it is and I think if I was creating stamping or forming dies it would be more useful. However, using the software in conjunction with a CNC cutter to fabricate buck forms might be a better use of time with the software.

Using the "sheet metal" tool in Alibre' 12 doesn't work like we would want.I use it for fabricated forms like frame rails and brackets that I can cut on my CNC plasma table and then bend into shape using my press brake or similar functions. Dimples and domes don't flatten out with extra material that would be useful.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 PM

sketchup is pretty limited in part modeling from what I've used it. its great for buildings etc but to do a simple fillet or rounded edge is a pain- there are plug ins for things like this but its more stuff to download and install- you can get inventor for free as a student from autodesk- i think you would be ahead of the game learning cad>inventor, both free
Old 12-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Steve, Thanks for the reply, As a rookie to this a bit overwhelming, but I'm working with it, got the time

BTW I spent a good bit of time yesterday looking at your site
Just Beautiful craftsmanship man!!! I try, but not even close

Your modeling samples equally outstanding. Love the shrink-er stand

This "polacko" to another Keep up the GREAT work

Old 12-22-2013, 07:48 PM

Ed -- Often I'll sketch an idea. Cut a sample out on the CNC router, and then look at it for a while to see what I want to go with. Pretty simple, quick, prototype.

Strips of 4130 give an idea of flow.

wheel_pants_700x6_take1_visual.jpg

wheel_pants_700x6_take2_visual.jpg

wheel_pants_700x6_take1_top_view.jpg

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without also helping himself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Tom Walter; 12-30-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Making photos visible. Discovered the paper clip to attach!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Tom

I'm with ya
. I still need to see things in real time
.Been doing it this way many yrs.
Unfortunately my old way resulted in lots of mistakes...I really need to learn 3d modeling