All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 PM

I just arrived back home from my very first metalshaping event at Steve Greenway's lovely home (and shop!) in the woods near Cumberland, WI. I had a great time, learned tons, and even made a Captain America shield, out of 19 ga steel. (Evidentally, they were out of Duranium...)

Everyone there was friendly, helpful, and willing to pitch in to help with my extremely steep learning curve. The food was great and I picked up some very firm ideas as to what to do next in my journey learning metalshaping. I can't wait to dive into setting up my shop exactly the way I want it, and to work on building skill.

Special thanks to Steve for being such a great host, and to everyone else, for taking time out from their own projects to rescue me when I painted myself into a corner with my first project.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:09 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Very nice work there Drew, thanks for sharing. It helps to have good instruction, good tooling and a great environment. Patman and Steve are a great to have in our metal shaping community.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Default Great time

My second time at Steves meet in the North woods. Seems like I learn more every time I go to one of these. Steve is great host. Many Thanks.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 PM

Bill I'm glad you could attend, thanks for providing the copper backing plates. You bring things to give away every time you come.

Drew, after nearly two years of online communication, it was nice to finally meet face to face. I'm really happy that you could attend, and I'm glad that your shield turned out so well.

I was working in the shop today, it sure seems empty after having various people there for 10 days straight.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

It was a fantastic meet! Steve and Sue are wonderful hosts. The beauty of the area, their and his shop is hard to describe. Count on us returning next year.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Default Another great meet....

Another great meet in the books!

Been to all of em and I just keep picking up more knowledge from everyone there. Great discussions, demostrations and hands on help is what makes it so great.

Fun to be with old friends and to meet some new ones.

Thanks to Steve for being the wheelman on doorskin, Patman and Brock on the plannishing demo, Chris for the finishing demo, and Motage for the aluminum welding tips! And of course, Steve and Sue for letting us all hang out and have fun.

See you next year! If not sooner.....

Ea. Angelo Metalworks
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Default A few Meet Photos

Paul and Earl are shrinking the edges of a panel to stiffen it slightly to make for easier wheeling.
Edge_Shrink.jpg

Pat assists in fitting a panel to the Bugatti Type 35 Buck.
Bugatti_Panel_Fitting.jpg

Pat Brubaker and Brock Shimon working on a door skin for Brock's truck.
Door_skin_Wheeling.jpg

Here Pat is checking the roof of Brock's truck cab after filing to identify high and low spots. Drew Schumann look on . Mick Vollmar (foreground) uses the bulls-eye pick to raise a few low spots.
Brock's Roof.jpg

Those who attended on Thursday got a treat when Jeff Thomford showed up with one of his custom bikes. He designs and builds these largely from scratch. The workman ship was impeccable.
Jeff's_Bike.jpg

Drew Schumann was a first time attendee, but he dug in quickly. Here he is wheeling a reverse curve practice panel. (right before he started on the shield shown in a post above.)
Drew_Wheeling.jpg

Mick Vollmar was also a first time attendee. He came all the way from Denver for the meet. Mick has a lot of bodywork and shaping experience. Here he is trying out my e-wheel.
Mick_Wheeling.jpg

Mike Clarahan drove all the way from Detroit to attend. Here he is working on a wing for his Jaguar project.
Mike's_Wing.jpg

Mike also did several aluminum gas welding demos and provided instruction for everyone interested. Many of the guys had not seen nor tried it previously. Dane West, Paul Nygren and Dale LaRue look on.
Mike's_Class.jpg
Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Chris Fleming Demo

Another new attendee was Chris Fleming. Chris drove up from Central Illinois. He gave us a demo on how he finishes the surface on some of his metal sculpture.

Here Chris shows us the tools and process he goes through to get a flawless satin finish on his work. His process is different than what most of us use on automotive parts, but it was really quite interesting to watch.
Chris_Demo_1.jpg

I'm not sure why these next two photos show up horizontally. They appear as vertical on my PC when I'm not in allmetalshaping. My apologies. You'll have to turn you head.

Chris shows us a few of his studio pieces. He brought 4 pieces, but I only got photos of two.
Chris_Demo_2.jpg

Chris_Demo_3.jpg
Old 10-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Default Great meet

I would just like to say that the meet was a lot of fun and very informative
with all the demos.

Thanks to Steve & Sue for doing the meets. I know it's a lot of extra work to get ready and clean up after. I always feel welcome when I attend.

I would also like to say thanks to Pat & Mick for all there help with my pickup.

Brock
Old 10-15-2018, 02:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2017, Sept 2022

Steve,

Thanks for organizing and hosting this meet. I was only able to make it for day but I had a great time. I hope to be there longer next year.

Thanks,

Jeff