All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-30-2018, 12:03 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

Turn the gas flow up real high, strike an arc, left off the pedal and check for gas flow. You should feel it.

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May '17

Recently I had problems like you describe and it was the gas coupler on the machine with the hose. Changed it with a new one and welded like new. You can let the gas output maesured by the dealer .
Cheers Richard.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

thanks for all the suggestions guy's, to be honest i agree about using pure argon, i know you get a much better weld with it but i have been using argon mix ever sinse i started this car and it's only recently it's started to be a pain in the preverbial. it could be down to the electrodes, i'm not sure if there are any shite quality tig electrodes out there, i'm guessing there are... i will inspect the coupler at the machine, it's a quick release type but i know i get gas out at the torch end, i can hear and feel it, after that it'll be another torch lead, gas bottle, machine lol
Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 AM

I would agree that it is a gas problem. My first thought was bad gas but you said you have not made any changes ( new gas bottle, different gas mix, new tungsten). I have never heard of gas going bad in a bottle with extended time but one never knows. Some of those bottles date back to WWII. Try switching to a pure Argon bottle. I would be looking for damage to the gas system, primarily the torch. Typically a leak is not going to draw atmospheric gas in but reduce the amount of forced gas. Although you say you can hear gas coming out, it is probably insufficient. Take the cover off your torch hoses and inspect it for holes or crimping. As the plastic lines age, they can harden. I had a TIG in my garage at home for years. It hung on a hook. With time and seasonal temperature changes a crimp developed in the line and it caused a problem similar to what you are describing.

I would suggest switching to pure Argon as the gas of choice for all of your general needs.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mullin View Post
I would agree that it is a gas problem. My first thought was bad gas but you said you have not made any changes ( new gas bottle, different gas mix, new tungsten). I have never heard of gas going bad in a bottle with extended time but one never knows. Some of those bottles date back to WWII. Try switching to a pure Argon bottle. I would be looking for damage to the gas system, primarily the torch. Typically a leak is not going to draw atmospheric gas in but reduce the amount of forced gas. Although you say you can hear gas coming out, it is probably insufficient. Take the cover off your torch hoses and inspect it for holes or crimping. As the plastic lines age, they can harden. I had a TIG in my garage at home for years. It hung on a hook. With time and seasonal temperature changes a crimp developed in the line and it caused a problem similar to what you are describing.

I would suggest switching to pure Argon as the gas of choice for all of your general needs.
sorry just to clarify, i fitted a new bottle (exhanged for full) but it was around the same time i changed to a gas lens. i don't use it that often so it's hard to pin point what's wrong and when it happened, i also changed electrodes at the time i fitted the gas lens. i will inspect the hoses tomorrow and have a laugh, i mean a look lol.

thanks for all the suggestions guy's
Old 06-30-2018, 01:01 PM

If you put on a new bottle and think that the problem occurred around the same time, I would put my money on a contaminated bottle. I have encountered contaminated gas bottles several times in my career and it makes for an impossible weld. Very similar to what you described. Unless thoroughly and visibly contaminated, I doubt that a gas lens is the problem. Nor do I believe that all of your choices of tungsten could be bad. I have never encountered a badly manufactured tungsten. I come back to contaminated or insufficient gas.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:07 PM

Is your gas Ar+CO2 or is it Ar+CO2+O2 Neither are right for tig but if the gas has upto 5% o2 (as is common on mig welding) you're never going to have any luck with tungstens
Old 07-01-2018, 07:31 AM

thanks guy's, i am going to change the bottle tomorrow, it's most likely the gas it's just hard to pin point it due to the time frame. my moisture trap is still blue with no visible signs of pink anywhere so no moisture showing yet. this is the first bottle i've had trouble with in 5 years (all have been ar/co2 mix) but it can happen so i'll swap it and see.

thanks for the response's guy's i'll update on the outcome
Old 07-01-2018, 10:41 AM

I have never seen a weld spec with Boeing or the Air Force called out to use any CO2 with TIG. Argon and or Helium yes. I have used many different gas mixes with MIG though. Im only 99% sure so you can do some more checking. CO2 is not an inert gas.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 PM

Your problem is 100% your gas mix. Pure argon for steel and stainless, aluminum also but in some cases using a helium mix is better for heavy applications.