All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-14-2015, 04:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

That came out great.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:24 AM

Steve said: "The Lexan will nest like above. Fastened with counter sunk flat head machine screws with a 1" black painted perimeter border on the inside of the Lexan."

From experience with mating Acrylic Canopies to aircraft, to avoid complications, it is good to allow room for the differential expansion.

What many builders miss is the overall "growth" along a line of fasteners. I make a hole much bigger than the fastener and use a dimpled flat washer to hold the window in place - allowing for expansion.

I suspect this car is going to see the outdoors. Does the Lexan tolerate the heat-expansion forces very well?

mjb
Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Thanks guys for the kind words. ---- Just to let you know there was a lot of head scratching associated with this project. Skintkarter mentioned having a similar job coming up soon. Hope some of these ideas are helpful for you guys to make your jobs a little easier.
Marc Bouget
Thank for your input. I have made the holes larger but never knew if there was a spec size for a given size machine screw in the aircraft industry.Do you know of any reference material? ---- I do have an inch pound screw driver and was also wondering about torque specs for machine screws for poly carbonate to metal to allow expansion and contraction movement as you mentioned.

No mar scratch resistant ploy carbonate is more or less the standard of the drag car industry and stands up very well. Lexan windows that have shape to them need to be formed in an oven so when fit there is no tension pulled in when screwed down. Tension well cause stress cracks to show up in fairly short order. ------- QKiss

Last edited by qkiss; 07-08-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Recently saw a neat solution by one of of 'god' fabricators and racers here. He runs a ahem - whisper... rumoured 900hp BMW E34 3.5ltr sedan in the BMW Open Class series here. To streamline his car when fitting up the polycarboate/lexan rear screen and bring the 'glass' up flush with the body, he has attached a bandsawn strip of black plastic (not sure what flavour) about 12mm thick, to the existing window apperture flange. Strip is attached to the flange with 3/16 or so pop rivets, counterbored into the strip to give a flush surface for the glass. The glass is then attached to said strip using plastic countersunk screws, drilled and tapped into the strip. Nice, neat and clever. Screws are black plastic so blend into the black mounting strip. I should have taken a photo, but hopefully you get the idea. All seems to stay in place as he spanks the super rich brigade with their $300k-$500k E46 5.0ltr Dinan engined beasts at 250kph over the start finish line... He is not a popular chap in some quarters...
Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 PM

Im just reading this and I couldnt stop, read all the pages in one sitting. Very impressive work. Cant wait to see more.

One thing that I have never seen/heard was the use of stainless to tack the aluminum window channels. Can you explain this more? I take it as you sandwich the aluminum between the SS then actually run a tack on the stainless and its just enough to penetrate to the aluminum to basically spot weld the aluminum together?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:09 PM

Default Door window frame

What was the thickness of the metal used for the window frame? 3003H14?
Fred26t
Old 10-16-2015, 12:48 AM

Marc Bouget
Thank for your input. I have made the holes larger but never knew if there was a spec size for a given size machine screw in the aircraft industry.Do you know of any reference material? ---- I do have an inch pound screw driver and was also wondering about torque specs for machine screws for poly carbonate to metal to allow expansion and contraction movement as you mentioned.

No mar scratch resistant ploy carbonate is more or less the standard of the drag car industry and stands up very well. Lexan windows that have shape to them need to be formed in an oven so when fit there is no tension pulled in when screwed down. Tension well cause stress cracks to show up in fairly short order. ------- QKiss

[/QUOTE]

Polycarbonate is damaged by exposure to oils and will start crazing. The hole size isn't related to fastener size, it's determined by length of a line of fasteners in conjunction with the cooefficient of expansion for the poly. I forgot to mention that the dimpled washer is supported by an aluminum spacer made from tubing. The spacer is related to fastener size, of course. I will see if I can copy the details from a drawing I have.

mjb
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidpaint View Post
One thing that I have never seen/heard was the use of stainless to tack the aluminum window channels. Can you explain this more? I take it as you sandwich the aluminum between the SS then actually run a tack on the stainless and its just enough to penetrate to the aluminum to basically spot weld the aluminum together?
Here is a Lazze video on spot welding aluminum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgC3V3mkcw
Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Ah I was under the impression he was tacking with his tig welder. Misunderstood
Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred26t View Post
What was the thickness of the metal used for the window frame? 3003H14?
Fred26t
The material used is .040 5052 ----- 3003-h14 would work also. This is a race car and weight is a big consideration and mounted to fiberglass doors.If it were a street car with steel doors the material of choice would have been steel. Material size is also mentioned in post #125.