All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-01-2017, 12:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Welding Cast Iron - Stick-arc, TIG, O/A torch (part1)

Since I had to weld some cast iron today, I grabbed a quick pic and thought to toss it out here:

I was tig welding a very flawed old cast iron machine part (old Swedish Pullmax part). Very poor casting, for some odd reason, with a wide depression in one place, 2 divots and 8-10 voids. Oh yeah, the three inch crack that illuminated itself nicely AFTER I welded up the large depression (see it on the right side of the image.) The crack was from some heavy paw overloading the back gauge arm ... and so the end was displaced pretty well, with the initial crack only 1.5" long ... which showed itself as truly being double that, later. sigh.

Anyway, to avoid the usual preheat, peening, and postheat I just used our "no peen" stick-arc rods with the flux knocked off ... with the usual nice results that I get with that rod.

P1040591.jpg
A little porosity still came up, but after working the arc at 90deg to the surface I was able to "warm in" the filler and avoid the nasty undercuts I was initially getting.

Patience wins when welding cast iron ...
And having good technique with good filler.
(okay, so you don't have to ask ...
http://www.tinmantech.com/products/w...g_supplies.php )

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the link Kent. It did raise a question though, why did you chose to use the arc rod with the flux knocked off over using your cast iron TIG rod?
Thanks
Chuck
Old 12-01-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdog View Post
Thanks for the link Kent. It did raise a question though, why did you chose to use the arc rod with the flux knocked off over using your cast iron TIG rod?
Thanks
Chuck
You are welcome, Chuck.
The TIG rod we carry is Nickel99, which needs lot of post-weld peening (peen until the weld is only warm to the touch of your bare hand.)
So I use the arc-sticks, which has some of the alloy mixed into its flux coating, even though I bang most of it off ...

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 PM

Nice little write up Kent, I have welded a few engine blocks and exhaust manifolds using the Mig, and never thought you could do it with the Tig, that is another great tip I have use in the future.
Cheers John
Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Lincoln Electric offer a very versatile range of sticks for welding cast and good advice too. What seems to go under the radar much of the time is just how well cast brazes with bronze rods. If it's a case of something broken off just braze it back on. Works a treat.

Will

William Pointer
Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 PM

I welded up a turbo housing and exhaust manifold several years ago just like this. I thought it was just dumb luck that it worked, I guess I was on to something. Thanks for posting this Kent.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post
Lincoln Electric offer a very versatile range of sticks for welding cast and good advice too. What seems to go under the radar much of the time is just how well cast brazes with bronze rods. If it's a case of something broken off just braze it back on. Works a treat.

Will
I've seen brazed fixes on cast iron dating back to 1920.
Rockmount Research used to have good info on cast iron welding repairs 30 years ago.
Old familiar stuff.