All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Default Axles

Kerry,

The number of axles may be an issue when it comes to driving it in some states. In CA, the three axles in the rear, plus the front, requires a Class B or A license I believe. Keep it to two axles and under 25,000 pound GVW and it's a normal Class C license. Not sure about having two axles in the back, but do know there are special provisions for two axles in the back on a motorhome.

For rear axle, Dexter Torque Flex is what we use in the teardrops. Work great, and might be the ticket. Having used a few, I do have a couple things I'd need to let you know about before you ordered them though.

John
Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Here is a neat thread where the guy did something similar...

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551111392VqwVKS

There is a great COE thread on the HAMB also:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=219018&page=3

I got a lead on a White COE today.

Name:  White COE -50s.jpg
Views: 5473
Size:  44.8 KB

The more I think on it, the more I like the idea of an extended cab pulling tractor and an art deco trailer. The Leblatt things just blows me away....

A few more random photos that are interesting...

Name:  beertrucks_07_resized.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  23.2 KB

Name:  COEtrucks001Leblatt2.jpg
Views: 3695
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  GILMOREOILTRUCK.jpg
Views: 3907
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  GMC COE Bookmobile fom EYEKANDYKUSTOMS Garage on hubgarage.com 01-03-2009 1.jpg
Views: 5066
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  Labbat1.jpg
Views: 3805
Size:  14.7 KB

Name:  Labbat2.jpg
Views: 3521
Size:  10.3 KB

Name:  Labbat5.jpg
Views: 3476
Size:  12.1 KB

Name:  Mack COE.jpg
Views: 3494
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  Stude Daily Star.jpg
Views: 3387
Size:  53.4 KB
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Kerry, we seem to share the same symptoms. I absolutely love working with trucks, even more than with cars. Trucks are much bigger projects than cars since everything is so big (dimensions, weight), you often have air and hydraulic systems to go through etc. - you will also need friends or a forklift, to handle everything alone is impossible. But, older trucks are simple to understand, easy to work on and they never wear out in private use. But, truck needs a big diesel not a gasoline engine They are just great to drive and you will later thank yourself for having a jake brake...

I don't know the situation in America, but here would be almost impossible to find an old car transporter trailer that has that art-deco styling. If you find one, that's the way to go! I've been looking for a trailer for a long time for my truck, its really not that easy to find something cool.

In Europe, most of the trucks are COE's - the good thing is they take a little less place and have a tighter turning circle. When I was a kid I always draw old American trucks, Peterbilts, Kenworths etc. Once I caught the attention of the teacher since she thought something was wrong with me, I was always drawing flames on the hood and she thought I was interested of fire-setting and all that pyromania-stuff

Considering of the cab, its a great advantage if you have sleeper cab, you can either use that for extra seats (I have factory 4 seater cab on my truck) or take a nap while your friend is driving. You can also easily solve the problem where you put the cooler for the beers

Here's a factory photo of the model of truck I have, I will either convert mine for the 5th wheel (if I find a place to store a trailer), or build a flat bed for machine transport. Its maybe not as cool as some of the American trucks, but technically its in perfect condition and a great truck to own and drive:

Great things about trucks, you can always store your other projects on top of them

Some links for your help, probably you know them, they are my favourites:

I've been watching this project for a long time, really great workmanship: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodgerestoration.htm

This must be the king of all the car transporter topics, I've read the thread through several times:
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=63980
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Kerry
Most of what I remember is Olds. or Caddy frnt wheel drive models with automatics. All of the projects that I have been involed in have been cab overs with ramp style bed. I did see one guy married a car trailer to a cab over & had some fenders for the trailer hand built into a early style. I think it was early 40's or late 30's. It did look good when he was done. The trailer part was a lot lower than your typical ramp style. He had a caddy transplant. Lots of power & torqe. The only thing I do not like about COE. is no leg room. If I where to do one I sure would at least make a extened cab model. I would perfere a four door model myself. I think I would lean towards a Caddy set up myself. Of course I am a little old school, but what the hey it still works & I think you can find them a lot cheaper the the newer stuff!!!!!!!.
A buddy of mine & I did install a Olds set up one time into the back of a Ford van back in the early 80's. All I can say here is what a ride it was .
Butch
Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Hi Kerry i have the same as you said in your previous post.

One of my problems is that my brain never shuts off...

We are on the same wave lenght as far as building something that stands out.... i love the old style trucks and panel vans,but with to many restrictions over here in the Netherlands not much is left what i can do as far as building something until these little cars came on the road.....

These are 30 miles an hour cars with a little diesel engine so very very good on gas mileage....Called Aixam Mega Multi Truck.I can change the body on this car because restriction wise it is a Moped so less rules.

Then i found an artist on the HUB his nickname is Tinpau and he made a 3d drawing of this

I asked him if he could sent me the 3d file and he did.....

I opened it up in Solid Works but it had no date in it so getting info to make a buck was not possible , it was an STL file that i could not turn into a step or so. i tried with a lot of help but that did not work out...

After a while however i met someone that could get info out of the file and he did it for me, i now can make a buck.Now i have to find the time to do it

good luck with your new challenge...

Ben
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Kerry,

I've got a great base over here(a mercedes benz car hauler 306D from 1977).
Why don't you build the body and the n we'll mate it to my chassis .
Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Holy crap Ben, 30 miles an hour ??? That would take me over 2 hrs to get to work.
Might have to put a couple a turbos, some propane.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Step the front of the body for a Fifth wheel coupling.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Take a look at this. Forget the body.
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=21

Nick
Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 PM

Lightbulb

Sent pm...but take a look at startracks.com
Custom front wheel drive truck chassis...
tony c