All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default New Coach Building Apprenticeship Opportunity

I just got back from Tunisia where I met Mohamed Awadi and toured his soon-to-open restoration/training facility.

Some of you are familiar with Mohamed's remarkable work on mostly French automobiles from the golden era, notably Delahaye's, Bugattis, and Delages, some of which was done on the olive machine described in Tim Barton's first book.

Mohamed is moving his shop from Lyons, France to Tunis, Tunisia and dramatically expanding it. It will be a full-service, one-stop restoration house. From wreck to concours with a price, and delivery date certain. He has already hired a crew of 15 and some of them are well-known figures in the European restoration scene. Most will be permanently based in Tunis, but some will split time between their shops in France and Italy, and Tunis.

APPRENTICESHIP/ COACH BUILDING COURSE:

Mohamed is also offering what I see as THE BEST course in learning coachbuilding... a 9 month intensive, immersive program which is based on the TRADITIONAL apprenticeship programs that were common in Europe up until the mid-1970s. For instance, hand tools ONLY the first three months. The apprentice must learn how to make every complex shape with a hammer and dolly BEFORE transitioning to power hammers.

Student apprentices will live in an apartment complex with Mohamed's other employees and be provided with ROOM, BOARD, TRANSPORTATION, and TUITION for 1,000 Euros per month...total being 9,000 Euros. Repeat: Room, board, transport, and tuition for 1,000 per month (about $1,300 per month).

During the last three months of the program students will be working directly on the current shop projects, the first of which is a '39 Talbot-Lago Gout d'Eau valued at $5million.

MOST of us on this forum are probably past the stage where we want to move somewhere for 9 months, but if you know a younger person who is SERIOUS about becoming a coach builder, this is one heck of a great opportunity.

What is living in Tunisia like? The country is "2nd World meets Hawaii." My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time there and found the people to be friendly, mostly modern, and kind hearted...much in the traditional Italian vein.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more info, or need to contact Mohamed. Mohamed speaks English badly, but most of his crew are English speakers and the course can be taught in a variety of European languages, including French, Italian, German, Swedish, Russian, and English.

IMG_8258.jpg
Mohamed and his European sales manager, Kader Yacei, who is based in Paris, speak to a car owner at the Tunisian Historic Races last week.

IMG_8302.jpg
The restoration facility is about 60K square feet and will include a paint booth and interior trim shop. The photo shows me to the right of Mohamed (scarf) as well as my wife on the extreme right.