All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-17-2016, 01:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default recent Air Power Hammer workshop, San Antonio

Had a few guys come to the little workshop we gave in San Antonio last weekend, on the Air Power Hammer.
We used four machines, 5 different motors, and probably 30 different dies,
P1020863.jpg
P1020809.jpg
and we had two additional instructors.
P1020682.jpg

The exercises were to make different shapes, starting with shrinking the outside half of a hollow elbow,
P1020790.jpg
then stretching the inside half.
P1020805.jpg
Fitting together and gas welding
P1020875.jpg
P1020876.jpg
"Make a plan, work the plan, stick to the plan."

Then making a "floral" hollow fan reverse shape, either one half or both halves.
P1020854.jpg
Some students made both halves of the elbow, some made one half, and one fellow made both halves of the elbow and also a very good version of the floral shape. (Gold Star)

P1020782.jpg
The "30 minute challenge" was to first make a crowned panel, then cut an opening in the center of it, and shape a blister up through that opening, flange the blister's edge, and cleco to the inside surface. Surface had only to be reasonably smooth. Speed and accuracy were priorities.

One instructor made a double compound reverse shape.
P1020731.jpg
Here he is working to get the corners to touch, something that Heikki Seppa wrote was a "theoretical" possibility. If you choose material that starts too thin, then - yes, it does become very theoretical, indeed !!

It was a good workshop to test some shaping skills in.

ps, all metal shown was .063 3003 1/2 hard, with some annealing done before or during working, or no annealing at all.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 AM

I might add that using a "powered shrinker/ stretcher" like these helps to reinforce the overall concepts that you carry over to hand work that you will be doing.
Seeing the metal move quickly into a certain shape really helps to form the minds eye view of metal shaping......in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Very, VERY cool stuff. Thanks for posting. I will try hard to use the one of your machines that is at Jim Hery's shop in Tennessee. He is very happy with it, and I have seem some nice work that he has done with his.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM

Default Die

Hey Kent,

Tell me about the die being used in the 'floral shape' picture?

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Hey Kent,

Tell me about the die being used in the 'floral shape' picture?
Hi John,
This is a new reverse shape planishing design I have worked out this year. I have found it difficult to adequately planish the reverse shapes that I make because I think there has been a shortage of the technology to do that.

These new non-rotating polymer dies are available in different curvatures so you can choose which combination will work for the curve you are smoothing. NOTE: These dies are designed to smooth without stretching - something very uncommon with current metalworking technology, as you always get some stretching, and subsequent loss of shape with what is available currently.

I took some footage of that floral piece being planished with these dies to better help with the concept.
https://www.facebook.com/TM-Technologies-190948948689/

Here is the roughed shape before planishing:
P1020847.jpg

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Hi John,
This is a new reverse shape planishing die design I have worked out this year. I have found it difficult to adequately planish the reverse shapes that I make because I think there has been a shortage of good technology to do that.

These new Non-Rotating polymer dies are available in different curvatures so you can choose which combination will work for the curve you are smoothing. NOTE: These dies are designed to smooth without stretching - something very uncommon with current metalworking technology, as you always get some stretching, and subsequent loss of shape with what is available currently.

I took some footage of that floral piece being planished with these dies to better help with the concept.
https://www.facebook.com/TM-Technologies-190948948689/

Here is the roughed shape before planishing:
Attachment 39505
ps, I always copyright my die designs)

Last edited by crystallographic; 11-17-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:57 PM

Great video!
Given that with the dies shown, the contact, or working area, is a small patch where the two dies intersect. Could a lot of the upper die be removed, so that a better view of the area being worked would be seen almost as soon as the area came out from between the dies?
Or is it just that you use the dies either top or bottom, and need the added surrounding die face to guide and keep from kinking the work?
And is the hammer going as slow as it sounds in the video? It looks like the piece is displaced far beyond the contact area between hits. Is that on purpose?
Thanks for sharing your inventions. CZ
Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptonZap View Post
Great video!
Given that with the dies shown, the contact, or working area, is a small patch where the two dies intersect. Could a lot of the upper die be removed, so that a better view of the area being worked would be seen almost as soon as the area came out from between the dies?
Or is it just that you use the dies either top or bottom, and need the added surrounding die face to guide and keep from kinking the work?
And is the hammer going as slow as it sounds in the video? It looks like the piece is displaced far beyond the contact area between hits. Is that on purpose?
Thanks for sharing your inventions. CZ
Thanks Zap.
I keep the contact patch small, but for some jobs it could be enlarged, maybe.
I work by feel and the parts come out pretty nice. I suppose there are lots of improvements that could be made, but after using these for several jobs I am pretty satisfied.
I set the pace of the hammer for each job I do - some jobs need a fast trot while others can use a fast walk. When I am roughing shapes the speed is far higher.
I can lift the panel to shrink down or press it down to raise spots up.
I invert the panel to work various areas more completely.
I like having die contours to "lean" against or that guide the part when working so I don't over-steer my massaging.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:05 AM

Default Non rotating dies

I recall discussing the non rotating dies with you in the past. It's good to see that you've got them working. Question - due to their construction, and action, what size motor do they work best with?

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
I recall discussing the non rotating dies with you in the past. It's good to see that you've got them working. Question - due to their construction, and action, what size motor do they work best with?
I've used the big ones with the #5, but I use the small ones with the #1, or #0.