All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-09-2016, 02:23 PM

Default Repairing an MGA Fender

The first day of the North Woods Metal Shaping Meet many of the people got involved in repairing a 1962 MGA front fender that had been dented in an accident. I forgot to get "before" pictures of the fender, so the pictures start part way though the process.

Here Bob and Pat are working on one of two large dents in the fender.
IMG_0715.jpg

Bob is working on the wheel arch.
IMG_0719.jpg

Brock looks on as Bob continues working on the damage. I missed getting pictures, but they made extensive use of contour templates that had been made from the undamaged fender on the other side of the car.
IMG_0723.jpg

Brock is installing a plastic fender bead.
IMG_0725.jpg

The fender getting put back on the car.
IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Oops, forgot to rotate this one. Turn your head sideways.
IMG_0733.jpg

Last edited by Steve_Greenway; 10-09-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Other happenings at North Woods Meet

The Draxler team sets up shop to work on a T-Bird cowl
IMG_0726.jpg

Mike Motage made a presentation on his Jaguar project that was very interesting and detailed. He talked about the design process that he went through on his car. It was different from the photos on this site so not a review of info we had already seen.

Lots of detail about working with foam and clay for modeling.

Great presentation, Thanks Mike!

After the presentation Mike brought out a book of photos and his original drawings and sketches to further illustrate some design points.
IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Brock works on a fender while Pat and Dan look on.
IMG_0741.jpg

It was chilly the last morning. Henry works on a Studebaker fender and tries to stay warm.
IMG_0743.jpg
Old 10-09-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Big "Thank You"

These events are never put on by one person. This event may have been held at my shop, but it was a team effort and I need to thank some people for their help.

Pat Brubaker - for all his help and a great class that brought some additional attendees in. Also for the post dolly raffle and all the equipment and knowledge he brought and shared.

Dan Pate - for a ton of advice on holding these events, for his help with advertising the meet, for bringing a trailer full of equipment that I didn't have, for his sense of humor and for providing breakfast on Friday and Saturday.

Mike Motage - for his killer jaguar presentation, for bringing his e-wheel, for his hospitality when I was in Detroit a month ago, and for making a long drive to get here.

Craig Peterson - for his support of the event, for bringing a boxful of tools, a wealth of knowledge and for making a 700 mile drive from Detroit knowing full well that he would never sell enough tools to pay for the trip.

Will Cronkrite - even though Will was not able to attend the meet, he patiently answered my many questions about planning for a metal shaping meet.

Sue - (my wife) for putting up with me throughout the planning process and continuing to support this even when we had a house full of people she didn't know. She shopped for things I forgot, cooked a bunch of good food and helped me keep things on schedule and running smoothly.

All the attendees - this was a first-time event and it took a certain leap of faith for everyone to take time off from work to attend. I had no track record with these events so I greatly appreciate the effort everyone went though in order to be here. I learned something from everyone who attended and the sharing atmosphere was wonderful.

We are tentatively planning to hold this event again next year at about the same time. Exact dates will be published around June of 2017.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Hi All,

Yesterday evening I got all my tools and such put back in their places. It was enjoyable remembering Steve's hospitality and working out of his nice shop. Then enjoying the friendly cast of characters who showed up for this event. It was a real great time. Thanks Steve and all I met there.

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN
Old 10-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Big Thanks

Just wanted to drop a quick note. Back to the daily grinds with no time.
Wanted to thank Steve and his wife Sue for the hosting the event. Nice shop and lots of high end tools around to look at and try. Very nice!!.
Just a little advice for any new comers that live in the upper Midwest . I took Pat Brubakers class. I can say that it was well worth it. He will show you how to do shaping with just a few hand tools .This gives you a very good start
on what tools you may need and more importantly the one you can wait to get as your skill leave grow.
Thanks again Steve

Brock
Old 10-25-2016, 04:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

It really looks like a top even, and aim not suprised at all when Steve host it!
Great planning and a number one teacher for the class cant go wrong!

Hope to be abel to see you guys again in a soon future!

Thanks for posting inspiring photos!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM

Default Sorry I missed it.

Steve, I am sorry I missed this one, Patman invited me to travel with him but I had a date with the doc and knife all set up. I'll be there next year if I can. I have went through a your posts and have question because I have been thinking that I want to have a separate wood shop where I make the bucks like you have. Which show the massive amount of talent you have. Have you thought about separating the areas?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:40 AM

BobD,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been travelling for business. Back home now for a while.

Pat had mentioned you a while back, I'd be happy to have you attend next year, watch for the postings next summer.

As for your shop question: I have never considered separating my wood and metal shops. I'm sure there are lot's opinions on that topic and it would probably depend on just what type of work you are doing in each shop.

I do a fair number of projects (not automotive in nature) that use both wood and metal. Going back and forth between two shops to measure and check parts would be inconvenient. I'd also have to double up on some tools like the band saw and drill press, because I'd want them in both places.

Also, since I have a limited amount of shop space (due to zoning restrictions and budget) having it all in one room allows me to move things around as necessary. This allows me to have more room for a wood project today and then when it is out of the shop I can setup for a large metal project.

I know some people have separate shops and are quite happy with that arrangement. Aside from the type of work you want to do, I think there is also a good deal of personal preference involved.

I have no interest in separating my shops, but that doesn't make it a bad idea for you.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Metalshaping in the northwoods was the event I had been looking for. I have some experience with rust repair, and panel replacement, but I wasn't sure how to make the jump from a fabbed part to a shaped part.

I took part in Pat Brubaker's class and I am amazed how much we learned in a short amount of time. Highly recommend this class! Thanks again Pat!

To Steve, and Sue Greenway. Thank you for your hospitality and creating this event. I had a wonderful time and am looking foward to the 2017 event.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM

Shawn, we were glad to have you here. I agree, Pat's class was great!

Sue and I are planning to host it again this fall.