All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

If it’s going to be a convertible I’d consider adding an X-member to the frame otherwise the doors will bang on the door locks when you hit pot holes or drive into driveways at an angle. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

John, I understand your concern. It is my opinion that "X" bracing in the floor will contribute more to controlling torsional flex , but will do a lessor amount in the 'truss' concerns that you spoke of.

A convertible of this wheelbase and the large doors is a genuine concern for the 'truss' issue. I have seen much of Jims work in the wood body mounting pieces and know he has a very good handle in that area of concern, so I will be more concerned beneath the door areas of the frame.

Current thoughts are to make 'outriggers' outboard of the ladder frame in the door area, make sure that the 'x' bracing that is inboard of the ladder frame extends both forward and rearward of the door posts, and I am making some sketches that that incorporate both the (3) hinge approach to the doors as well as a latch that is similar to the Model A (Oh, My Gosh ) door closers that are a ramp/wedge design that positions the latch. I feel that I can trap the latch and reinforce the top door area and mitigate the structural deformation in that area.

I am of the opinion that there is much to learn from both the monocoque and the superlegerra approaches to strength vs weight and there are many auto designs that incorporate a combination of those approaches.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 PM

Just got back this week from a trip to Jim Hery's Chalfant Motor Cars shop in Tennessee where we were working on 3D scanning the T57 Stelvio that Jim is restoring, in an effort to gather as much info as possible while the Bugatti is in 'captivity'.

We removed the body (transmission and clutch) to get a better view for scanning. University of Pennsylvania Professor Scott White and his brother Sean came in from Philly and did the actual scanning. We all took turns applying the 'targets' after the body, etc. was removed.

I took advantage of the clear vision to make sketches for fabricating the cowl/body mounting brackets and the dash mounting brackets and the gas tank.

Name:  Jims1 019.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  Jims1 002a.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  Jims1 003.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  Jims1 005.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Jims1 007.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  Jims1 008.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  Jims1 012.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  Jims1 002.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  Jims1 030.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  Jims1 022.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 07-08-2015, 05:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

So good that this type of technology can be used to preserve these old cars for future builds.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Here are some SolidWorks drawings for the gas tank for Jim's Bugatti project. We took actual dimensions from the original tank as it was is pretty good shape, at least for measuring. The last drawing is the SolidWorks assembly drawing for the muffler. It is 5" in diameter and five feet long
and the dimensions were extrapolated form drawings in an original Bugatti service manual. All the pieces have been cut on the water jet, including the rubber support 'hangers', with the exception of the two pipes/tubes.

Name:  BugattiTank.JPG
Views: 1637
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  TankOuter.JPG
Views: 1776
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  TankOuterFlat.JPG
Views: 1653
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  TankMetal.JPG
Views: 1722
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  HammerForm2.JPG
Views: 1626
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  LtBaffleFLAT.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  Muffler.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  48.4 KB
Old 08-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Really cool stuff!

But are you going for an exact copy now, or more your own interpretation? Or a kind of hot rod?

Sorry if you have answered this in other threads
Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Jim is determined to make this as authentic as possible, and we are using actual documentation, digital measuring and of course the 3D scanning is involved, resulting in extreme accuracy. This statement is usually responded to with some referral to 'better than original', or 'it needs to stay original', etc, but this is Jim's intent and I going to help any way that I can. I spent the better part of an hour or so measuring and taking photos of the original gas tank, and with Jim's prolific history on this type of high level restoration, I am expecting first class results.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 PM

Fascinating stuff. I do wonder about all the targets. Where I work we print the National Geographic magazine and in a past issue they did a digital scan of a structure and it did the scan in the rough from several vantage points and the details were amazingly accurate.

We have also had folks from Oasis Alignment come in and optically check the alignment on our four story tall 200' long presses and they can dimension to thousandths of an inch over 100' of printing units.

I love that you guys are making digital masters of the chassis and bodies of the cars. Really amazing work.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 AM

I too, have seen digital scanners that do not use the 'targets' in this manner, but this is a very accurate and valuable style that is available to the gentleman that is doing the scanning.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Will,

I don't understand your reply to John Buchenkirk's post #11.

Surely, dropping one wheel into a pothole or running one wheel up onto a driveway will put a torsional moment on the chassis?

Dave Cameron