All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Hi Bill I am in Essex, about an hour from London. I live in Harwich which is the place that the first pilgrims left from to go to America. Everything around here is named after the Mayflower.

David
I once stowed away on a ship from Hoek van Holland to Harwich back in the 1970s. : )

Geoff's shop in Liskeard is 16 miles from Plymouth, the last place the pilgrims left from to go to America. I visited the "Mayflower Steps" there on Thanksgiving Day.

Bill Longyard
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Bill thanks for sharing your video footage with us, Geoff's place is on my list to visit at some time. Strange to think that he's only 1 1/2 hrs drive from me (fifty or so miles) and I go that way twice a yr.
Thanks again for making the effort.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Great video. Did you learn how he planishes and metal finishes his welds? They all look very even.

The challenge with any of the commercial videos is trying to compress 3hrs of work on a panel into 20 min or so. It is very clear in this series how the devil is in the details of reading the various parts of the panel and how it reacts to wheeling and hand manipulation. A pro can show you the steps to make a panel reasonably quickly, but when you try to do it yourself and it goes a different direction you get lost without him standing over your shoulder. Watching this guy spend 30 min. on one part of a complex panel would be boring for most but to me it was pure gold.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM

I just read Geoff's course description on his web site. He is tig welding panels wth no filler. This is very different from everything I've seen and read but what do I know. Can you tell us about his method Bill? Do his welds achieve complete penetration? They sure look nice and even.

Oh, and how did your fender turnout? Don't worry, we won't tell anyone
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
I just read Geoff's course description on his web site. He is tig welding panels wth no filler. This is very different from everything I've seen and read but what do I know. Can you tell us about his method Bill? Do his welds achieve complete penetration? They sure look nice and even.

Oh, and how did your fender turnout? Don't worry, we won't tell anyone
Geoff doesn't TIG weld any of his joins. I asked him about that BEFORE I went, and he told me the guy he hired to do his website got that, and a few other details, wrong. Sure enough, he gas welded everything while I was there. He does have a TIG in his shop, but doesn't use it for panel work. Interestingly, he also uses some high tech panel adhesive when added supporting sub-structure.
He planishes the old fashioned way... hammer (or flipper) and dolly. He will use a filler rod, but not always. What I saw him weld he used a rod sheared from scrap panel material. 1.2mm for Lotus, 1.5mm for Jaguar. Like other Brits, he uses flux thinned with methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) rather than water. His torch is rather big, not a like a small Victor or even a Henrob.

Bill Longyard
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Geoff doesn't TIG weld any of his joins. I asked him about that BEFORE I went, and he told me the guy he hired to do his website got that, and a few other details, wrong. Sure enough, he gas welded everything while I was there. He does have a TIG in his shop, but doesn't use it for panel work.

Bill Longyard
Thanks Bill. Sounds like it was quite an education.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Geoff doesn't TIG weld any of his joins. I asked him about that BEFORE I went, and he told me the guy he hired to do his website got that, and a few other details, wrong. Sure enough, he gas welded everything while I was there. He does have a TIG in his shop, but doesn't use it for panel work. Interestingly, he also uses some high tech panel adhesive when added supporting sub-structure.
He planishes the old fashioned way... hammer (or flipper) and dolly. He will use a filler rod, but not always. What I saw him weld he used a rod sheared from scrap panel material. 1.2mm for Lotus, 1.5mm for Jaguar. Like other Brits, he uses flux thinned with methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) rather than water. His torch is rather big, not a like a small Victor or even a Henrob.

Bill Longyard

I intended to find out about the tig welding 'cos just about everyone here gas welds ally so I was shocked to see the comment. Thanks for putting that right. I use water to thin my flux, Meths is for drinking right?. - Seriously I will have to try it but I have never heard of that before.

David

All things are possible.