All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Default Favorite Welding Book?

I've been searching but not found a similar thread, so...

I'm not a formally trained welder. I always wanted to weld, so bought some torches and have been happily stumbling a little less ever since. Once in a while, I get to work around someone who knows. The rest of the time it's about books and textbooks. No matter what, I keep returning to The Oxy-Acetylene Handbook by Linde Air Products https://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Acetylene...ylene+handbook It covers so much information with better clarity than other books. There's also many techniques and methods coverd that are rarely discussed elsewhere. metallurgy is clearly discussed. Much of the content is analogous to other welding methods. Of all the books I have, this is the best one I have ever found and the must-have welding book I would recommend to anyone.

With so much preference here to gas welding techniques, I thought it was worth mentioning this book to others like me who are learning while asking the opinions of already very proficient welders. Even the bonafide Wizards here must have some preferences. What welding book(s) or instruction resource is your standby?

Whether gas welding steel or aluminum, I'll also make another plug for Kent White's TM2000 welding lens. It makes the puddle clearly visible- no glow or color change to follow. The puddle simply becomes bright/shiny and then ripples as it liquifies. That makes it much more simple to avoid overheating and effervescing the weld. If you don't have one, get one. Once you try it, you'll understand.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the tip Cliffy!

I have ordered the book, having now realised that after 30 years I have only been shown how to weld and only read a decent book on the subject once,

Cheers Charlie
Old 02-03-2017, 07:47 AM

Haven't seen this work.

The Tinman recommends Elzea's "Aircraft Welding" which I feel is matched by (IIRC) Col. Scott's book by the same name.

I bring this up as an indirect recommendation to try this work. I first read Elzea, then Scott's. I was puzzled when I read something in Scott's that I didn't remember from Elzea. Went back only to find the same point made in Elzea.

So, here's my point. Various works can say the same thing, but they may be written in a way that is not picked up by the individual reader. It may be worthwhile to read both or all three!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Oxy acetylene handbook

I still have my 581 page college text book :"Oxy acetylene handbook" by Union carbide, cost was $ 3 in the 50's
Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
I've been searching but not found a similar thread, so...

I'm not a formally trained welder. I always wanted to weld, so bought some torches and have been happily stumbling a little less ever since. Once in a while, I get to work around someone who knows. The rest of the time it's about books and textbooks. No matter what, I keep returning to The Oxy-Acetylene Handbook by Linde Air Products https://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Acetylene...ylene+handbook It covers so much information with better clarity than other books. There's also many techniques and methods coverd that are rarely discussed elsewhere. metallurgy is clearly discussed. Much of the content is analogous to other welding methods. Of all the books I have, this is the best one I have ever found and the must-have welding book I would recommend to anyone.

With so much preference here to gas welding techniques, I thought it was worth mentioning this book to others like me who are learning while asking the opinions of already very proficient welders. Even the bonafide Wizards here must have some preferences. What welding book(s) or instruction resource is your standby?

Whether gas welding steel or aluminum, I'll also make another plug for Kent White's TM2000 welding lens. It makes the puddle clearly visible- no glow or color change to follow. The puddle simply becomes bright/shiny and then ripples as it liquifies. That makes it much more simple to avoid overheating and effervescing the weld. If you don't have one, get one. Once you try it, you'll understand.
Very kind thanks, Cliff.
I am just trying to help further the craft by providing things that I felt were missing or too abstract to be really useful.
I bought many metal and welding books when they were easy and plentiful. Elzea is best for torch on steel tube and some sheet. Although I must confess I cannot see some things he points out, yet. During that time WW2 period there was huge need and so, many sources provided, with some providing duplicate information - BUT, that information should agree and not conflict - and that is the key, for me, anyway.

I used Elzea for the basis for my 4130 Chromoly Airframe dvd set.

And ALCOA's aluminum information for my Gas Welding Aluminum dvd and booklet (And brazing) series, which ALCOA asked for a copy of a few years' back...

For the Cast Iron dvd (Stick, tig and torch) I used old-school practices along with the Ni-rod... but then I threw in a curve ball - welding gray cast iron without preheat and without peening - something very few cast welders are even aware of.... along with some years' shop experience. Using this same (TIG) method, I welded up the end of an automobile crankshaft - in the car - to rebuild a broken out keyway - an all-too typical headache on a good serviceable engine. That was 12,000 happy miles ago....

For my Gas Welding Stainless booklet I had to really root around and ask and source and experiment - but I did have original gas welded stainless aircraft exhausts to match up to.... and industry standards are adhered to.

Copper welding is next...

Again, thank you.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Very kind thanks, Cliff.
I am just trying to help further the craft by providing things that I felt were missing or too abstract to be really useful.
I bought many metal and welding books when they were easy and plentiful. Elzea is best for torch on steel tube and some sheet. Although I must confess I cannot see some things he points out, yet. During that time WW2 period there was huge need and so, many sources provided, with some providing duplicate information - BUT, that information should agree and not conflict - and that is the key, for me, anyway.

I used Elzea for the basis for my 4130 Chromoly Airframe dvd set.

And ALCOA's aluminum information for my Gas Welding Aluminum dvd and booklet (And brazing) series, which ALCOA asked for a copy of a few years' back...

For the Cast Iron dvd (Stick, tig and torch) I used old-school practices along with the Ni-rod... but then I threw in a curve ball - welding gray cast iron without preheat and without peening - something very few cast welders are even aware of.... along with some years' shop experience. Using this same (TIG) method, I welded up the end of an automobile crankshaft - in the car - to rebuild a broken out keyway - an all-too typical headache on a good serviceable engine. That was 12,000 happy miles ago....

For my Gas Welding Stainless booklet I had to really root around and ask and source and experiment - but I did have original gas welded stainless aircraft exhausts to match up to.... and industry standards are adhered to.

Copper welding is next...

Again, thank you.
You're very welcome, Kent. There's no need to thank me. Sharing a completely honest (and unsolicited) opinion about a great tool is the least I can do after people like you who have done so much to benefit what we pursue. Lots of knowledge is out there, but not all is shared as readily.

my mentioned favorite book is dated for sure- 1955 printing of a 1943 copyright. so I'm hoping to enhance what I have with more modern information like methods for doing cast iron without preheat or peening....
Old 02-04-2017, 06:03 AM

The Elzea was sold by Lindsay Publications but they were taken over by Old Time Book Store (?). OTBS seems to be preparing to close and is offering the Elzea book at a heavily discounted price. It's a good book and people who are even slightly interested should move quickly.

Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 AM

$15 at www.youroldtimebookstore.com

Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Jackson View Post
$15 at www.youroldtimebookstore.com

Jerry Jackson
San Antonio