All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default T57 Bugatti Chassis Development

Been working on customer 'stuff' and progress has been slower than anticipated. Compounded by the change in direction from the XK140 Chassis to a hybrid design that will incorporate the XK140 rear suspension layout coupled with a stock car style front suspension and an intermediate section made from scratch to accommodate the long wheelbase and an attempt to control chassis flex from that long wheelbase and the narrow track.

This is the original scan made by University of Pennsylvania Professor Scott White and I accumulated at Jim Hery's shop in Tennessee.
Name:  WT57_body.jpg
Views: 4535
Size:  23.9 KB

This is the very nice work done by Scott in 'finishing' out the full body scan. Some sections have been 'turned off; to make seeing some pars of the drawings.
Scott and I have shared the World Coordinate Systems on each of the drawings that we each do to facilitate coordinating the insertion of components into each others drawings.. The planes shown in this photo are indicating the ground, the centerline of the body and the center of the radiator cap in the grill shell which is where I took the Bugatti measurements from. For me, it was a 'bitch' to keep adjusting these planes in each drawing and it took me some time to figure this out. I suspect that I am approaching the limit of my capabilities in getting some of this 'triangular' info from either the Creoform or the Artec scanners to function easily in the 'rectangular' CAD programs. Steve (ToreadoreXLT) has been quite helpful to me in this regard.
Name:  T57_IGES3Planes_01.jpg
Views: 4724
Size:  31.6 KB

This photo shows the problems that were inherent in my first choice of a front suspension. There were issues with front rack and pinion and frame interference with the XK front frame section.
Name:  T57_body_03a.jpg
Views: 4519
Size:  33.7 KB

These next drawings were made after completion of the drawing of the Jag in line DOC with 4-speed tranny, aligning it with the crank hole, etc.
Again some of the panels that Scott made are not shown for clarity in review. It looks like there will be sufficient ground clearance, driveshaft angle and 'bump' clearances.
Name:  3Quarter.jpg
Views: 4639
Size:  51.7 KB

The crank height and the body angle are the same as the Original Type 57.
Name:  DrSide.jpg
Views: 4542
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  CrankAlign.jpg
Views: 4634
Size:  43.5 KB

A lot of hours measuring, layout and drawing to get the motor dimensions required to insert into the 3D layout, but I am done with the exception of the intake system. I fully understand that this in not a 'detailed' drawing of the Jag motor, but is very dimensionally accurate regarding motor mount positions, heights, widths etc. that are of a concern for developing the chassis. As I mentioned earlier, I have no intake manifold to measure at the present time. I am currently looking for a 'cheap' intake unit that is for the 3-carb setup, but would consider a two carb unit if cheap enough. It only has to take up space and have enough 'stuff' there to be able to measure it for drawing purposes.

Name:  4.2BlockAssy.jpg
Views: 4560
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy2.jpg
Views: 4512
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy4.jpg
Views: 4427
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy7.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy8.jpg
Views: 4306
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy9.jpg
Views: 4562
Size:  50.7 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 05-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:01 PM

Impressive, thanks for sharing I truly enjoy reading this progress.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Very impressive buddy!
This is a interesting build, will follow it close!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Will, aside from building the body are you also fabricating frame, suspension and steering?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

will, did you model that motor and transmission! I'm impressed!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Mike: At this point, in the ever changing scenario, It looks like we will be replicating the rear frame section of the XK140 chassis to support the rear suspension components in an effort to maintain correct rear track width and to use the knock off rear hubs. I am looking at a front cross member design that is very similar to short track racing/drag racing applications, so adjustments to bump-steer, etc. are controllable, that will use rear steer spindles with a rack and pinion unit. I am hoping that this type of (rear)steering will make for much less effort to install the steering column and result in the correct steering wheel angle without using any u-joints. Once, I have accumulated and drawn the front 'clip', it is intended to join these two sections with a strong center section to minimize chassis flex, a challenge in an aluminum bodied convertible. I am trying to use existing designs so that I do NOT have to go thru all those front 'steer' concerns.

Steve: I did do the measuring and detail drawings to assemble the Jag motor. 68 hours and counting. Because the fact that the first item inserted into a SolidWorks assembly if 'fixed', I had an issue re-aligning the motor assembly into the .iges file of the scanned body. I tried the 'float' command, but not all the assembled components went with it, so I had to re-position the block to the WCS, before assembling the rest of the components. The .iges file would not 'insert' a S/W 'assembly', so I had to save it as a 'part' file. I am learning many things from this project, but the differences between the scanned data and the S/W requirements have been the most difficult for me to conquer. You have been very helpful. Thank you!

All this work is subject to input from Jim Hery, and because of his interest in doing multiple builds, it seemed prudent to work out as many major details as possible prior to cutting and forming.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Will
You are making the rest of us older guys look bad with all your high tech drawings!!!!
I guess we all could do it if we wanted to dedicate the time.

your planning and dedication shows in the quality and detail, this will be a very neat car!

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Steve
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

That is a slick way to develop the project, for sure, Will.

When you get to the noise and dust parts I can probably be more cogent, though......

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2009

Will I have cars at the shop with both the three carburetor and two carb set ups.I can get you the measurements that you need to complete your CAD modeling.Bob
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 AM

Bob, that would be of great help at this time. Thank you!

Name:  JagCarbs.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  58.3 KB

This is the style that I have a preference for.

Name:  11-30-04004.jpg
Views: 3846
Size:  44.6 KB