All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Posting Pictures
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Exclamation Photo size

Attention Members
Please make sure your photos are not too large, when posting them.
If the viewer needs to scroll side to side they are too large!!!
I find that 800 x 1000 works about the best.

To speed up resizing pictures there is a free program that we recommend, from Faststone, which allows you to set the size very easily and do a large batch of pictures in seconds.

Use the (preview post) button to see how your photos look before you submit the new post.

Even after they are posted you can go back and edit the post to correct the size.

1. You will need to resize the pics on your computer first.

2. Go to edit, then to go advanced.

3. Highlight the large photo, delete it, find and upload the new smaller picture.

Thanks to all who post.

The admin staff
Old 12-17-2019, 11:11 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

I take pictures and send to everyone pictures in "e-mail format". Needless to make informational images in high resolution. Due to the high resolution will need have to build several power plants ..... on the world.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Here is the link to the Faststone software and download. I've used this for at least 10 years.

https://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

I've developed a process that works pretty well for me. On every project, I create a sub folder under the project name. For instance my Roadster is a folder in my AllMetalShaping folder. Under roadster is a sub folder for each major area. Currently, I'm working on door redos so the directory is C:/allmetalshaping/roadster/door_redo. All my photos for the door redo go into that folder full size. When I want to post them, I run Faststone, select the photos and create (if I have not already) a new sub directory called 'small'. Faststone will allow me to select the small directory and either keep the same name for both the large and small files with the small files being in the 'small' sub directory.

This approach works really well. If I want to get the original photo, I know right where it is and what it's name is.

Works for me.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Here is the link to the Faststone software and download. I've used this for at least 10 years.

https://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

I've developed a process that works pretty well for me. On every project, I create a sub folder under the project name. For instance my Roadster is a folder in my AllMetalShaping folder. Under roadster is a sub folder for each major area. Currently, I'm working on door redos so the directory is C:/allmetalshaping/roadster/door_redo. All my photos for the door redo go into that folder full size. When I want to post them, I run Faststone, select the photos and create (if I have not already) a new sub directory called 'small'. Faststone will allow me to select the small directory and either keep the same name for both the large and small files with the small files being in the 'small' sub directory.

This approach works really well. If I want to get the original photo, I know right where it is and what it's name is.

Works for me.
I used to do something very similar. No longer use a camera or have a PC though. This rule if thats what it is, pretty much counts me out. Its not that all this can't be done with a phone, its the additional time and memory required, and detail lost, that kills resizing for this member. Not problematic for some other forums. Many PC users will find that by holding the Ctrl key and pressing + or - any page can be easily adjusted in size.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mr Hamilton. I will stop posting pictures.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Yes, that's typical. Modern technology has stopped the distribution of images. Many people have their entire lives on the phone. When he loses it, part of his life is erased. Is it that right? I take pictures for myself and then throw it away ...... ???

I have similar examples in my area. They take pictures and take pictures, they have it on their phone, but they don't send anything further. If the phone breaks or loses, it buys a new one and accepts the loss as a whole. But they're still not sending to anyone else. Is it for a smile or for crying ???

I see that the colleague deleted the post.

Last edited by Jaroslav; 12-19-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post
I used to do something very similar. No longer use a camera or have a PC though. This rule if thats what it is, pretty much counts me out. Its not that all this can't be done with a phone, its the additional time and memory required, and detail lost, that kills resizing for this member. Not problematic for some other forums. Many PC users will find that by holding the Ctrl key and pressing + or - any page can be easily adjusted in size.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mr Hamilton. I will stop posting pictures.
Matt, your post concerns me. It is, unfortunately imo, a sign of the times. You've been a member here for over a year and have apparently benefited from your reading and interaction with the community. However, you apparently can't be bothered to take a few seconds and support the group. It's all about you right? Never mind that your post might help someone else or that you might benefit because someone else took the time to document their project or answer a question.

You, and perhaps others, need to understand a couple things. You may have noticed that there are NO pop up ads, no targeted banner ads, no membership fees, etc. The reason is that there are 6 guys who do 100% of the funding and administrative work to keep AllMetalShaping going out of our own pockets. If folks start posting 2gb photos because it's easier for them, not only does it make it more difficult for most members to read, it increases the cost out of our pockets because of increased storage costs. We don't sell your information. We don't allow anyone to spam the site. We are not Facebook or Instagram. Steve Hamilton, who you just disrespected, is one of the guys that makes this place work.

Yeah, it takes a bit of time to be involved. If that is too burdensome, feel free to stop posting.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:05 PM

No disrespect was intended. If my intent were that, I would keep it to myself. I attempt to explain my behavior, thats it. I may not be the only one who did not know that me posting a photo which is hosted on my blog costs anyone anything. My bad. I don't have a forum so didn't know. I truly don't have the time to change the way I do things, and it is you guys' forum.

I had not noticed a lack of ads because I use a browser which does not show them even if they are there. Its not all about me, but I am an individual with limited knowledge and a different set of stuff, as we all are.

So in parting, I apologize. I figured uploads cost forums space but not linked images. My fault, sorry for the drama. I stand by my post though, no lies there.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Double post, woops