All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-09-2018, 03:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

[QUOTE=pplace;146073]Thanks for showing the process you went through and also for editing and adding the info from estimate “W.A.G” to actual labor hours involved. It’s so difficult to quote 100% custom work with so many variables involved. I also find myself forgiving some of my “head scratching” and thinking hours as I find it difficult to charge a customer if I don’t exactly know how to do something (can’t charge 100% for learning something myself) Do you find yourself with the same mindset also?

Yes I do, either learning a new process or if I make a mistake and ruin a Panel and have to make a second one.

Steve
Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post

Yes I do, either learning a new process or if I make a mistake and ruin a Panel and have to make a second one.

Steve
Ok good, thanks. I was hoping I was t giving away my talents for free!haha Actually I find it better to treat the customer very fairly and it will pay off in the long run. We have many repeated and returning customers not only because of the work performed but because of the friendships formed during the process and how they are treated as a customer.

Back to a billing point: I often track my hours for the first part, but more importantly track the second part (either a duplicate part or mirrored for the other side). More often than not the second part goes easier because you’ve got everything figured out. I then average the two labor totals out for a final figure.

The first side is hard because you are designing, figuring, making templates, etc. Hiwever the second side is difficult because you actually have to build to match the first side exactly!ha

Dane
Old 05-09-2018, 06:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Oh where does the time go!
guess I got side tracked. I was reminded by someone up at Dan's that I had not finished this thread. Sorry, well here are the last pictures.
Many small parts were required to make the box part at the front of the Quarter panel. The areas that were to be welded as an enclosure received a coat of self etch primer to help slow down the corrosion in the future.

Attachment 47017

Attachment 47018

Attachment 47019

Attachment 47020

Attachment 47021

Attachment 47022

Attachment 47023

Attachment 47024

Attachment 47025

Attachment 47026

Mike Rouse had asked early on how it would be welded?

The answer is most of it was TIG to assemble the panel sections, then the lap and flange joints were spot welded the same as the factory did.

The customer was thrilled to find someone that could make this, so the restoration could continue.

I had estimated (wild ass guess) that this would take 40 hours but explained to the customer that it could be much more. we had a conversation when I reached 30 hours and could see that the estimate wasn't even close, he agreed to continue with the high quality for what ever it took to complete. the project took a little over 80 hours and number of hours thinking & head scratching!

Steve
It's nice when a customer grasps the process of duplicating missing/rusted sections. And even nicer when a reasonable part of your effort gets compensated.
"Good, cheap, fast" are all that we can deliver. Which of those 3 things does the customer prize the most?
In all, your customer (luckily) found the right shop.
Nice parts, Steve. Well done!

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Thanks Steve,

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Thanks guys!

I enjoy a good challenge, they can be frustrating at times, but in the end very satisfying!
This type of inner structure for a project is much more complicated than most of the skins that cover them. If the structure is not correct the skin either will not fit, or be pulled out of arrangement when installed.

At Dan Pates event, Cass Nawrochi said that he had studied his time sheets for complete builds, and found that only 3% of the time was spent shaping the parts. When you think about all the planning, drawing, buck building, fit up, welding, planishing, metal finishing, special tooling building, etc. that makes sense.

The best made skins are useless if there is no structure to support them!

Steve