All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Default 1008 CRS draw quality or not?

I called Arlo Steel today about some AKDQ 1008 CRS. The sales guy had no idea what I was talking about. After explaining I read it on the website, he agreed he must carry it, then verified he can get it. This got me to looking for another source, and my closest supplier, Discount Steel in Ft. Worth, shows 1008 CRS, and has the EXACT same description of the working properties of the metal as Arlo. Discount Steel does not list it as AKDQ, however, and they have no idea what I’m talking about either.
Is there a difference in how AKDQ is manufactured, even though it’s still 1008 CRS?
Dave
Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ward View Post
I called Arlo Steel today about some AKDQ 1008 CRS. The sales guy had no idea what I was talking about. After explaining I read it on the website, he agreed he must carry it, then verified he can get it. This got me to looking for another source, and my closest supplier, Discount Steel in Ft. Worth, shows 1008 CRS, and has the EXACT same description of the working properties of the metal as Arlo. Discount Steel does not list it as AKDQ, however, and they have no idea what I’m talking about either.
Is there a difference in how AKDQ is manufactured, even though it’s still 1008 CRS?
Dave
I do not know in the US but here in OZ there is a difference
cold rolled only, is harder then cold rolled CA3 - (CA3 is our temper code)
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 08-22-2018, 07:00 AM

Hi Peter,
Even here on the Sth Coast, they don't Know what Steel is in the CRS, Their claim is either
CRS. (Cold Rolled Steel) HRS. (Hot rolled, which is harder to work with than CRS or Zincanneal. (and the Chinese Zinc is terrible to work with)as it work hardens.
I have had these issues with our local supplier and even ones 150kms away on what is the actual Steel sheet they are supplying.
As most don't have data sheets on, or if you happen to deal with the same supplier for 100 years he can give you the answers you need.
Also the size of sheeting has been downgraded some, as all you can get now is .75 - .95 - 1.15 - 1.5 or 1.9.
I have noticed the work ability of CRS gets very thin on the .95. So lately body panels have been done in 1.15mm.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default CRS- alloy and temper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ward View Post
Dave

Hi Dave,
Here in the US, CRS can vary on both alloy - 1008, 1010, 1020, etc - and also on temper : how hard the alloy is.
AKDQ means drawing quality temper, so the CRS has to have a soft enough temper that it can be pushed/pulled into clean shapes without tearing/separating/fatigue failure.
Some steel suppliers offer CRS in the 1010 alloy that is a soft temper, but that has no formal temper designation that would indicate such softness.

(And the designations (AKDQ, etc) seem to change about every dozen years or so, as the newer generations take charge of handling nomenclature.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Finding this metal is not easy, or reasonable, it seems. Online Metals in Dallas told me they carry it, then when I tried to order it, they said it’s not something they stock. I’ll just bite the bullet and pay the shipping.
Dave
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 PM

Default The steel is killed!

AKQD stands for aluminum killed, draw quality steel. CRS simply means cold rolled steel. There is obviously a difference, as one is microstructure, the other is finishing process. So, if you are looking for deep formability then akqd is the way to go.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:02 AM

Default Alro and 19ga.

I copied this from myalro.com I hope this helps.

A1008 CR AKDQ is a Type B cold rolled sheet that is a HSLA (High Strength Low Alloy). The AKDQ refers to the process that makes this grade of A1008 CR Steel sheet more formable.

AKDQ stand for Aluminum killed, drawing quality. It refers to the process of using aluminum in the alloy process and the annealing and tempering the sheet undergoes. The end result is a steel sheet with excellent formability, surface texture and flatness. It is also noted for its uniformity and consistent performance. These characteristics make A1008 CR AKDQ ideal for drawing operations.

Any 19 ga ordered from Alro will be AKDQ according to my sales person. In Columbus Ohio I ordered 2 sheets for $286.30 delivered to my door the next day. It was shipped in over night from out of the state at no cost to me but had a modest in town deliver fee.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanks,
I’ll have to check again with Arlo. They quoted me $178 for pick up. But the salesman was confused from the start. Maybe he’s new.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Default 19Ga Dead Soft

The more you buy the cheaper it is. I'm not saying $35.00 worth just saying. I rechecked with Central Steel N Wire (waiting on a quote) for 19ga CS or commercial grade and found dead soft 19ga. Interesting.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 AM

As luck would have it, I’m going to be within 30 miles of Arlo Steel, so I’m picking up the proper CRS AKDQ 19 gauge. It’ll be interesting to see how much easier this stuff forms than plain 18 gauge CRS.