All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

John I agree with you. This is what I have been saying all along. The arguments that are being put up just show that it is horses for courses, as I have said all along. Mig welds are fine for some jobs I make some panels that I would only mig weld. What I have tried to point out is that if you are going to grind the wed flat then work it you may have problems with it cracking and it is harder and more work to achieve anything like a metal finish. If it is all you have then you have no choice but setting up for tig or gas does not cost a lot more than mig so anyone starting out should be aware of the problems.

Thanks for posting,

David

All things are possible.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Guys, I agree that mig is not the best for the job, i wont disagree with that. but if you are having cracking problems, it is the operators fault, entirely. Could be a poor choice of wire, gas, not enough gas, technique, whatever, but it is all under the operators control.

Sure it takes a bit to grind, but its not too bad if you are a skilled grinder. Many high grade metal guys used mig exclusively with awesome results.

If you are still having cracking problems, start a thread asking for help, I am sure we can help walk you through it. Sure it can be done, and quite well.

Marty
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

The reason why the bridges are mig welded / or arch welded, is work speed.Tig is better weld..imagine guys welding whole bridge with gas or tig..would take a lifetime...so c´mon...dont compare it to building bridges.

My previous employer was a company that made aluminium boats, to finish coast guard and army, and for other countries too.They were welded with mig, but tig had it special places...pipes and tanks, etc...The problem was, always grind the oxidation off the surface of the aluminium,before welding, and after welding, you brush the seam with steel brush, equipped in die grinder...even good weld seam, has always little soot on the edges.you have pretty much seam to clean on a boat, even they only were something around 66 foot long...

--------- JJ ----------
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator

We have gotten off topic with this thread. The forum is for sheet metal shaping and related subjects. Structural steel welding is considered off topic here.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Mig welders are one of the best things that ever happened to the collision industry, all of a sudden almost everyone could weld in the business. Hooray for mig welders ---- I own 3 of them right now.

Having said that if you’re going to use a mig welder to weld up stress cracks in early fenders you may be disappointed in the longevity of your repair. Gas or tig welding still doesn’t guarantee success in panels that suffer from a lot of vibration but you do have a better shot at a more lasting repair if there’s not a hard weld running thru the panel. I certainly wouldn’t be worried about putting patch panels in the bottoms of doors or quarters with a mig but there are places where using a mig would make me very nervous.

I do agree that welding technique is everything but part of that technique is also knowing when not to use a certain type of welding. After a car is completely painted a cracked weld in my metal work costs me dearly in $$$ and reputation so I try to avoid it at all costs. A hobbyist working on his own car is working under completely different circumstances than myself and I also understand what he can justify in spending on equipment is different too, that however doesn’t change the reality of the repair, at times (not all the time) mig is just a poor choice. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Steering this drifting raft back toward metalshaping; thank goodness we have access to all sorts of affordable welding equipment.

Most all welding processes will find their way into metalshaping at one time or another. Remember metalshaping includes crafts and applied arts over a wide range; From silversmithing to 1/4" plate sculptures and from what ever it is that your interest is to whatever your dreams may be.

Within this broad range of crafts and skills; requirements for welding vary widely. Some are interested in doing invisible repairs as a part of a restorative process. Others are simply joining parts in construction or reconstruction of some object.

Therin lies the controversy: my solution may not be appropriate for your requirements. There is a wealth of opportunity to learn in discussing a variety of methods. In most cases there is no good, better or best method. I need to remind myself of that often.

As Joe Hartson says in his signature line. "there are many roads to town".

On this Memorial Day weekend, remember those who have given their lives so that you and I may enjoy Freedom.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

A quote from the rules for the site.

"This board was started to provide a resource for folks who wanted to learn and share knowledge about SHEET METAL SHAPING and related SHEET METAL SHAPING TOPICS such as sheet metal shaping tools. This is not a forum about machining, auto mechanics, welding (other than welding sheet metal), fabrication, painting, press brakes, music, gardening, your great Aunt’s medical problems, etc."

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.