All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Yeah! I love it when something goes together as planned after much research and planning. It looks good!
Mark is being too humble about his contributions to this station buck and the Miura project overall. He has been an advisor, giving me great advice and the referral to Dan Palatnik for the CAD work that was beyond my skill set. Mark has a great eye for auto body design and a very practical sense for the coach building process. The progress and results would not be the same if I were doing this without his advice. I want to publicly thank Mark for all his help so far (and encourage him to keep the good advice coming ).
Old 10-19-2019, 11:16 PM

Post Vent hammer forms

I bumped into an old friend one day and he mentioned that he'd built himself a CNC router in his garage. Hearing this, I immediately asked him for a favor, provided him the CAD files and soon I had another piece to the station buck puzzle. He made me hammer forms in MDF for the vents situated in the top middle of the hood.

These started from 3 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together and then shaped on a CNC router. Like the other parts of the station buck, these fit perfect with the top surfaces aligned as they should be. You sure can't beat this CAD stuff for accuracy.

Next up, he's making the hammer forms for the headlight openings. We're still trying to figure out how to best do the front grill opening hammer form. Given it's height is greater than the Z axis on his CNC router, it will likely need to be shaped in multiple pieces and then these pieces glued together.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Post Headlight opening hammer forms

The headlight opening hammer forms are now shaped and installed on station buck.

Next up, the front grill opening. This one is big and complicated. It might take a while to get done.