All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Meet Hosts

You are very right about planning ahead as far as tin work goes. Years ago we didn't think ahead and had to get pretty creative with the tin work. This was good training not only about tin work but project planning as a whole. Whether it's a seat pan or motorcycle tank or a trans tunnelor a complete car project , having the plan and the vision to see the whole project is a skill that is hard to learn. I think that as metalshapers we all can learn from others how to see our plans come together in a smooth and simple fashion and the finished product is better because of that.

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Really like the details about the posting as you build. Keeps me motivated on my 65 AWB project. I am purchasing a pullmax and now see how helpful it will be. Keep the posts coming.
Howard
Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelhoed View Post
You are very right about planning ahead as far as tin work goes. Years ago we didn't think ahead and had to get pretty creative with the tin work. This was good training not only about tin work but project planning as a whole. Whether it's a seat pan or motorcycle tank or a trans tunnelor a complete car project , having the plan and the vision to see the whole project is a skill that is hard to learn. I think that as metalshapers we all can learn from others how to see our plans come together in a smooth and simple fashion and the finished product is better because of that.

Andy Geelhoed(guesswork)
Well said Andy. ---- Looks like we went to the same school of hard knocks together. I had to do some of the classes over a couple times though to finely get it.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmopar View Post
Really like the details about the posting as you build. Keeps me motivated on my 65 AWB project. I am purchasing a pullmax and now see how helpful it will be. Keep the posts coming.
Howard
hdmopar --- Thanks ---- The above work done with the Pullmax is the highlight of my Pullmax career. I'am also looking forward to gaining knowledge --- tip and tricks with the Pullmax from the guys on here. I think we are in the right place.

Good luck on your 65 AWB
Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Body off chassis skeleton waiting to be completed .

Tube by tube the chassis is taking shape

Shot from another angle.

[SIZE="3"] Rear suspension ---- 4 link ---- X type locator ---- anti roll bar ---- and on the left are the ride height set up tubes that will be replaced by coil over shocks.
Moving forward with wheels and tiers ---- on board fire bottle ---- battery and mount.

Drivers seat ---- steering column ---- and drive shaft loops with enclosure tube.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-07-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Must be a few meters of tube in there now. Any idea how many?
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Must be a few meters of tube in there now. Any idea how many?
Never kept track of how much tube went into this project. The reason for all the tube is to gain strength through design so thin wall tube can be used trough triangulation and trusses. The 3/4" -- 7/8" -- and 1" tube is all .049 wall 4130 chromoly. The heaviest wall tube is the box around the driver. This main cage area is is 1 5/8"x.083 wall. The lower frame rails and upper strut tubes for the front suspension -- transmission is mounted to is 1 1/2"x.065 wall tube and the upper frame rail the front motor plate is mounted to is 1 1/4"x.058 wall tube.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Always a good feeling when you do the first preliminary assemble. --- Set it on the ground and confirm all the design, measuring, cutting and welding came out as planed.
Next project is the under cowl to firewall transition.
The cowl has had the wiper holes filled and the grill area filled on each side. The center will have cut out.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Thanks for posting this build. I like it! Can't really even tell that its been choped.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougg View Post
Thanks for posting this build. I like it! Can't really even tell that its been choped.
Thanks ------ That is exactly what I was shooting for with a mild chop. Wanted it to look stock until it is parked next to an original car although the front bumper and grill are going to be more radical.