All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 AM

Default Why is Metal Shaping a Disease

Just like my title says, I'm addicted, I can't get enough of it, I wasting countless hours on YTube watching Videos of it, My wife and kids are saying I'm crazy to spend that much time on it and I'm in the garage till all hours doing it.
So please Doctor get rid of my disease.................................

Is there anyone out there who has the disease, or is just me.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2010, Dec 2011, Nov 2014, Feb 2016, March 2021

Default The disease

Na Oldnek

You're not the only one, I'm not on facebook but my wife reckons the metal shaping sites are my face book.
I could think of a lot worse things to be addicted to.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

It's 20 to 11 pm and I am still at work so you are not the only one
Metalshaping is a disease!!
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi John

There is no cure, You will have to live with it till you die.

It will consume a lot of your time and money if you let it, but with a little self control you can live a long life and keep it at bay.

Some of the side effect are that your muscles will get sore, you will probably donate some blood. you may get blood blisters at times, may even lose a finger nail. when welding you may get a burning feeling at different parts of your body. Your stress level will fluctuate when you shape panels, but in the end you will be relieved & proud.

There are a lot of diseases that would be worse.

Have a Happy 4th of July

Steve
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Hi John and welcome!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 PM

It gets under your fingernails and the only way to get it out is to tap, tap, tap with a light hammer. which might lead to a little more getting under said nails, you'll never know it's there until 3-4 days when it starts itching again.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
...Is there anyone out there who has the disease, or is just me.

Just pray it doesn't turn into Toolitis.... No known cure for that other than bankruptcy.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:42 AM

I think that it's a virus that is spread by computers (youtube etc). I wonder if a virus scanner could help here...

Jan
Old 07-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Default I hope there is no cure for it!

Isn't great to get infected, knowing you can beat a piece of steel or aluminum, copper, silicon bronze or what ever you may have hanging around, and take your frustrations out on that piece of material and turn it into a fender, patch panel, a medallion , wall hanger, its 3 dimensional , you can hold it, toss it, weld it, screw it, yell at it yet when it is all over it's something "YOU" created,made copied, the satisfaction of knowing "YOU" did it, not a computer, its a great feeling of accomplishment. I just hope they will never find a cure. This is one disease that has to be retained!
Happy 4th of July

P.S. It is still something we can value as a freedom to use your own mind to create, destroy, or rebuild.

jehammer1952
Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Working with metal is not a disease but a passion. Most people that start trying to work metal give up because they can't quickly get the results they are trying to achieve and are not willing to put the time and effort required into learned. This is true of any type of metal working, machining, metal shaping, sheet metal work requiring only bending, HVAC work, forging, metal spinning, etc. Each has it own set of rules, processes, techniques and understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

You do not learn to work metal quickly, it takes a lot of time, practice, making mistakes that you learn from if you pay attention. Understand that you will never know everything about all metal types, it is a continuous learning process. The more you learn the faster you will learn about the next thing that you try. With sheet metal, the type of metal and the gauge, thickness of the metal determine what and how you approach the job at hand.

In shaping sheet metal you have to learn the basic of what the metal will do when you apply force to it. What you are doing is changing the surface area of the metal you are working with in a specific area of the sheet to obtain the shape that you trying to make. The best way to learn this is by using hand tools only. Machines come later, their main job is to reduce the time required to do a job. If you don't understand how the metal is going to move when you apply force to it and start off using machines the result will be more scrap being made faster.

It has only been in the last 10 years or so that information has been freely shared with anyone willing to learn. Prior to that it was either trial and error, attending a trade school or enter a long apprentice program to learn how to work metal.

Without passion you will not be willing to put in the time required to learn any of the metal working professions. All of the different types of metal working are related and once you learn the basics of one it helps to learn another form of metal work.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.