All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Advice on using the Meco 'midget' torch for OA welding

I have been having moderate success with my Henrob torch, but when at Kerry's last meet I was impressed with the lighter and more 'nimble' Meco torch and the smaller hoses. Some of my upcoming gas welding projects are going to require that I do some welding on the inside of some shapes, so when I got home I called Kent's business and ordered the Meco torch and the smaller hoses.

My only question was what size tip to use when I get started using the Meco torch. Any advice? Kent?

I will be welding .060" 3003H14 with either 1100 or the 4340 filler rod.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
I have been having moderate success with my Henrob torch, but when at Kerry's last meet I was impressed with the lighter and more 'nimble' Meco torch and the smaller hoses. Some of my upcoming gas welding projects are going to require that I do some welding on the inside of some shapes, so when I got home I called Kent's business and ordered the Meco torch and the smaller hoses.

My only question was what size tip to use when I get started using the Meco torch. Any advice? Kent?

I will be welding .060" 3003H14 with either 1100 or the 4340 filler rod.
I think you will be happy with the change your hand feels. I'd get the #2 tip and keep the #3 as a back up for joints that need more heat. You will need to wrench the tips on and off because it's not an o-ring tip design. I would not use the 4043 rod except on castings. Best to use the 1100 rod on the 3003. And use clean spring water to mix your flux. If the aluminum won't weld together when you are sure it's clean, it usually means there is iron in the water you mixed the flux with. (Distilled is not good because of the lack of minerals the flux was designed to have from the water.) We designed the hoses for that torch size, so put those weighty flashback arrestors/check valves on the regulator end of the hose.
yeehaw.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am having to plead ignorance here, but I only thought there was 'regular water' and distilled water. What is your suggestion regarding acquiring the correct clean spring water? Is it available commercially/grocery store, or do you have to test it?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Will, grocery stores/Wally World sell distilled water, spring water, and just bottled water from some municipal supply. It's labeled.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks Kerry. As much as I know about food, you would think that I know that. Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Will

This is the wrong time of the year to get spring water, it would be stale by now.

DID YOU see my ?'s about the race truck suspension?????

Steve
Old 11-26-2013, 03:19 PM

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!! "Git 'er Done".
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Hi Will

This is the wrong time of the year to get spring water, it would be stale by now.

DID YOU see my ?'s about the race truck suspension?????

Steve
Very good laugh on that one. thanks ....

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM

I'm using alcohol to mix the tm flux. But as I understand now that may not the way to go. I like the fact I can apply the flux rather thin.

I'm cuurently using tip nr 4 with a very soft flame to prevent blowing out the puddle. I'm trying not to use any filler rot. What are your thoughts about this? Should I depart from this or proceed learning it this way.

I like the fact that without using filler rot the weld is planished out easely and the panel is back in shape. The disadvantage is that the panel should fit with practical no gap.

Thanks for helping,

Frank
Old 11-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.de.Kleuver View Post
I'm using alcohol to mix the tm flux. But as I understand now that may not the way to go. I like the fact I can apply the flux rather thin.

I'm cuurently using tip nr 4 with a very soft flame to prevent blowing out the puddle. I'm trying not to use any filler rot. What are your thoughts about this? Should I depart from this or proceed learning it this way.

I like the fact that without using filler rot the weld is planished out easely and the panel is back in shape. The disadvantage is that the panel should fit with practical no gap.

Thanks for helping,

Frank
Hi Frank,
Clean spring water is better than alcohol for mixing the AGW flux. Fusion welding does require tight fits, especially on .025 or .032" material. Because of the problem always getting tight fits I keep thin filler wire handy, and add as little as possible.