All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Metalshaper needed for America's first warbird

I was contacted by the a guy named Dorian Walker about some metalshaping needed on a really unique airplane. America's FIRST fighter airplane (Warbird) was the DH 4. There is not a flyable plane in the country and a dedicated group of volunteers is trying to get the only DH4 in the US flying next near.

They had a shaper signed up but he had to drop out for personal reasons. Their time is short. The need the panels by the end of February 2018. There are three panels, two upper engine covers and the radiator cover. They have drawings and the remains of the original panels. Aluminum .063 3003 H14 is acceptable as these panels are not in anyway structural.

The group has some money but not much as this is a private volunteer effort based in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

I would really like to do this but my travel schedule just won't allow that to happen.

Attached are some photos:

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

THe photos of a real plane is one in New Zealand. It looks to me that the radiator cowl is wrong because it looks to be just bent 90 and not shaped over. I didn't get into that with Darrin.

That's about all I know. If you are interested in talking to these folks, send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info. I don't want to put that info out there since this thread is in an area that anyone can see.

I hope someone can help them out. This would be a really neat project to be involved in.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:13 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

I'm an airplane guy. PM sent, or you can email me at bill.tromblay@gmail.com.

Thanks

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.

Last edited by BTromblay; 11-02-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:54 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default DH4 - Liberty V12 - Lincoln car co.

DeHavilland supplied DH4's until we got our V12 supercharged Liberty engine production going ...
(after WW1, the Liberty engines went away, but those engineers came back to set up the Lincoln Car co, and the Lincoln V12....)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

There's a DH4 in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...havilland-dh-4 As a static display piece, it's obviously not flight ready right now. Looks like the write-up linked here is that same as the text from my old museum book. Good reading for any aircraft enthusiasts.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

America's first "warbird" was a 1908 Wright biplane. First US military airplane used in combat was a Curtiss JN-2 "Jenny"...used in the 1916 action against Pancho Villa in Mexico.

Okay... I'm picking nits!

Good luck on the DH-4 project. By the way, Geoffrey de Havilland's niece, the actress Olivia de Havilland, is 100 years old this year and still alive in Paris.