All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-28-2020, 08:11 PM

Default lower anvil Identification.

Hi I have 4 only old and worn lower anvils for my English wheel. I intend to replace the anvils which are numbered one to four. I assume this identify's the radius of each anvil. How do I transfer those numbers to radius. Alternatively what are the best Radius's I need for car restoration work.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I doubt that the 1 thru 4 is the radius. You can make some radius gauges with a compass and heavy paper and cut them out. A little trial and error and you'll know what you have.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm.exports@xtra.co.nz View Post
Hi I have 4 only old and worn lower anvils for my English wheel. I intend to replace the anvils which are numbered one to four. I assume this identify's the radius of each anvil. How do I transfer those numbers to radius. Alternatively what are the best Radius's I need for car restoration work.
Hi Paul, Richard from South Auckland here. Could you not get the anvils reprofiled? Probably a heck of a lot cheaper than getting new ones made. I'm just making a new set now for my small wheel and they are pretty labour intensive. Often the lowers are not hardened, so having them re cut can be an option. In terms of the radius for car stuff, very much depends on the crown of panels you plan to be shaping. I'll flick you my details if you need to call at some stage. I'm just about to shape some small ones for bike work and they are going to be 35, 65, 80, 125, 200 and flat (mm's on a 75 diameter x 50 wide anvil) as well as two offset specials. All from unhardened 4140.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

4th year of elementary school. Radius detection graphically. Kota 1/2 is not a dimension, it is half a section.
What did you do at school when you were little ?? But everything can be completed.

DSC03700.jpg

Last edited by Jaroslav; 06-29-2020 at 01:49 AM.