All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Quanset-Hut roof panel forming - Al Inbancroft

al_inbancroft Post subject: Quanset-Hut roof panel forming
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Got a little problem with 6 roof panels on my quanset-hut project.
I have six panels that are ruined by some Bubba that cut a chimney hole right where the panels overlap. There was three different chimney locations during its lifetime.
Surely someone is familliar with theese panels. They are probably 20gauge galvsteel, 24 inches wide by10ft long, with 1inch corugations. Theese are also bent on a six or 8ft radious.

What would be a easy way to reproduce theese? Very hard to find theese anymore. And Ive been lookin
Thanks
Al

jhnarial Post subject: Re: Quanset-Hut roof panel forming
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:06 pm
Site Admin
Location: Excelsior Springs Mo. I am not familiar with the panels do you have a picture?

Johnny Arial

al_inbancroft Post subject: Re: Quanset-Hut roof panel forming
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:59 pm

You have probably seen them in your travels though. All it is is corugated galvanized tin rolled on a 8ft radious. Same material used for farm buildings, but rolled in a arch. Ill take a pic.

How do you post pics here?
Thanks.
Al

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 pm
Site Admin
Location: Excelsior Springs Mo. You have to re-size them first.then at the bottom of your post click browse and then add file.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:08 pm

al

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 pm
Site Admin
Location: Excelsior Springs Mo. 320 to 480 Pixels I resize mine with picassa3.

BillH Post subject: Re: Quanset-Hut roof panel forming
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 pm

I believe this is the same question that was asked on MM? Terry Thorns answer was a pretty simple one. I believe this really does not fit much for the type of metal shaping that we all strive to do here.

But after thinking about your industrial application, I would start thinking about how they were made in the first place. For military high volume use, I would see a Mfg. company using an industrial slip roll, two, three, or four rolls. With todays urethane products, I could see you having something like a top die, machined to the shape of the panel, and a urethane bottom roll. The more pressure against the urethane, the more deflection in the part.

Im assuming this is a home owner job? I don't recall, but if it is, I would think one would get buy with a slip-roll, or sagging between to high points to create the arc, as shown prior.

Let us know how it goes.

BH

Boogiemanz1 Post subject: Re: Quanset-Hut roof panel forming
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Posts: 20 Building sheet metal is shipped in large rolls, and then run through die machine that forms the ribs as it passes through it. Usually to get a curve that machine has to be set to produce it...and some cannot make a curve. I would look to the manufacturer of your building for this material , if it is available anywhere. After WWII a lot of municipalities ended up with surplus buildings, and then there is government liquidation.com...........A quanset hut would make a good metal shaping building.............jb

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:55 am

Yeah Ive been looking. I have some flat panels off the sides I might use. "Old Goalie" on M-M has some flat ones. Waiting on the weather and other priorities right now. We may get together and try rolling some this summer. I only need six panels, so I dont want to spend alot of time making a specialized tool for it, we'll see though.

Thanks for asking. I'll keep the forum updated when I get rolling on my project again.
Regards.
Al