All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 AM

Default 550 Pictures!

John,

Don't forget the pictures! Lots of pictures please. I'm gonna build one of these soon and the more pictures of how you guys are doing it the better. Important dimensions would be nice too. I'm not going to have a body to go on. I'll model the car in CAD and make a wooden buck. I got the general shape but need dimensions. How tall and wide is the body at various points. How big is the door. How big is the hood. Etc Etc. Also if you can get pictures of the car in front, rear, top, and side. I'll use those as blueprints to tweak the CAD. This car is my dream and you guys are getting to live it. How come we are not doing something like this on the East Coast?

Very jealous,

John C.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpenter View Post
... How come we are not doing something like this on the East Coast?
Because you haven't started your build yet John.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Default OCMM update

the other side I made with the beater bag and planishing hammer a couple of days before the meet.

cut out a blank

beat some on a bag

fit my pattern to the part

planish

cut out from the blank

flange

Here are some photos from the first couple of days at the meet

Friday morning we got the fenders from Randy ( I should have sent him the whole car, lol )

Gale and Blake

Blake made some pullmax dies for the Nadia type holders and is doing a test piece

John Klemin working on the c-pillar- with his attention to detail these are going to be nice parts!

Fred and Me ( John_A) working on the cleco placement door thresholds- Turns out Fred is a certified riveter- ( I couldn't have found a better guy to help with this part)

Gale, is getting ready to work on a dash piece, I think it's going to be nice. (take a look at the stake dollies, everyone is green with envy, including myself )

Daniel is making some profile gauges for the front, as it turns out the left and right side are not symmetrical but are suppose to be.

Casey, Fred and myself are trying to figure something out- ( I am still not sure what )

Randys rear fenders just sitting on the top of the fiberglass part. --- Can't wait for the Willies build, I'm hoping to pick up some of Randy's Mad Skills in Oblong this year, thanks again Randy for the work on the fenders.

we go those parts from DK- thanks Anders I'm going to see if I can maybe get them welded on in the next day or two!

John A.
Everyone has been pounding, wheeling and working away.

Felix a friend of Blake's is almost done with this part

David and I have been working on the middle of the nose of the car.

It's getting better maybe today we will have it done

Daniel pounding away on a very challenging shape (headlight area and marker light)

Look at his shirt, all this was the same day!

Fred and Neil really put in some time to get the holes drilled and riveted for the floor- lots and lots of holes ( The help of everyone has been great, building a car is more work than anyone who has not built a car can imagine) Believe that!

Gary spent some time talking to me about how to cut up the parts into easier shapes, it wasn't easy but eventually I agreed. Here he is making a reverse that goes on the front fender.

We have no other photos of the front fender work, but Jay is so good that he nearly has this front fender done- and has only been doing little more than staring at the metal through out the day- Amazing it's really is beautiful.

John A.

My camera died, but I will take some photos of the what we got done at the meet today and post up the photos later- if someone has photos from the meet please post them as I only have a few from my phone
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM

this meet was great !!! I learnded so much and so many things Iv'e never done before. I first started getting intrested in metal shaping in 2004 and went out and got every book I coulsd find on the topic. then in 2005 I found the metalmeet site then I really started learning. I was able to make it to the international meet in Oblong in 2006 and bought my english wheel a henrob and a bunch of other stuff. then I went back to my shop and started actually doing some of the things I had only read about and actually seen done at the meet. at that point my 35 plus years as a collision repairman/painter/frame man didnt help me as much as the actual hands on work, many things transfer over in this end of the trade but the whole mindset is different. actually shaping the metal as oposed to getting it close enough for blue butter is miles apart. I first started using my own wheel in nov of 06 and then in May of 07 I had a stroke and was out for a year.I am now working with two left hands and my new left dosen't have the skill of my old one. I have had to retrain my right hand and it is slowly getting better.I am also now alot slower.
I worked on the dash and I have never worked with aluminum before so that was different, harder than I expected not really much different than working with 20 gauge crs except for some differences. I learned how much difference annealing made in working the metal and just how much it work hardened as you worked it. I had never done a reverse before and the dash was loaded with them so it was quite a challenge for me. John had to keep showing me what I needed to do, he was great. I now have a new respect for his level of skill and knowledge. after a lot of arguing with the metal in making it go where I wanted it I got my first reverse completed then moved on to the corner. well this is a small piece I said to myself then I figgured out that it had two small tight reverses in it and it was harder than anything I had ever done before, again John had to keep rescuing me from by own mistakes. after alot of frustration and hours of pounding I finally got it close and then annealed the part and used the fiberglass part as a hammerform to get the last little bit. overall I think I learned more at this meet than most any other I have attended, having an actual project that had to be accomplished really made a difference. thank you John for a great meet. and thanks to every one else who gave me pointers along the way. theres nothing better than getting together with people who can, and are willing to help you learn this trade.

Gale Skinner
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 AM

Dear Jcarpenter,
I am looking to something similar i have a couple of files i have sourced from various sites let me know if you want me to mail it to you am not sure how much they will help
but have managed to get a 1:18 scale buck bade of the same
using information from various images
i must say cad is a very nice way to go but have not managed to find any site with the cad drawing

Look to hearing from you
Cheers
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpenter View Post
John,

Don't forget the pictures! Lots of pictures please. I'm gonna build one of these soon and the more pictures of how you guys are doing it the better. Important dimensions would be nice too. I'm not going to have a body to go on. I'll model the car in CAD and make a wooden buck. I got the general shape but need dimensions. How tall and wide is the body at various points. How big is the door. How big is the hood. Etc Etc. Also if you can get pictures of the car in front, rear, top, and side. I'll use those as blueprints to tweak the CAD. This car is my dream and you guys are getting to live it. How come we are not doing something like this on the East Coast?

Very jealous,

John C.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Please post more, please.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

I like a lot, thanks for posting.

Whats your plans for the next chapter?

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

John I dug this up 'cos I had not seen it since I got back from my vacation. Looks like you had a successful meet. I would love to have come. Perhaps next year. The car is looking great. Lots done!. Well done and good luck for the rest of it.

David

All things are possible.