All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-08-2020, 07:08 PM

Legendary Result.

Only the Ferrari Faithful would know it was not built in Maranello.

This is one of my favorite builds here, so glad to see it updated with such good news.

Logic Industries LLC

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
- Mark Twain

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-08-2020, 10:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Well done on such a major accomplishment building a car from scratch! I'd love to be able to do that one day but laws here make it very difficult without going into a ICV or Individually Constructed Vehicle registration and engineering laws. If you see the hoops I already go through, just multiply that X5 and in cost!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:18 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel
You are now a member of a rather small group of people!
Many of us have a dream of building a car from scratch.
Some of us have created drawings and started planning.
Those that are serious have gathered parts and materials.
A number of projects get started but for many reasons are sitting and unfinished.
You are one of the few that can say you managed to get yours to a legal and drivable stage!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Steve
Old 03-09-2020, 12:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

not sure what else to say except very cool and Congratulations, Joel.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:49 PM

You undoubtedly have an interesting selection of cars in the garage to enjoy (and sometimes even for daily use knowing yourself). 427 Cobra "kit" that you cut your teeth upon. This 250GTO which definitely has expanded your metal shaping skills. And upcoming the Lamborghini Miura that will evolve your fabrication and welding skillsets even further.

The 250GTO sure has come a long way since I saw it for the first time in the Spring of 2011.

Thanks for sharing of the journey over the years!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
That's terrific to finish it.
It looks real good. Congrats.

Ya, the working speedo is important for when you're arguing with the cop...can't give him a too far fetched speed...."hey, I was only going...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
Legendary Result.

Only the Ferrari Faithful would know it was not built in Maranello.

This is one of my favorite builds here, so glad to see it updated with such good news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Well done on such a major accomplishment building a car from scratch! I'd love to be able to do that one day but laws here make it very difficult without going into a ICV or Individually Constructed Vehicle registration and engineering laws. If you see the hoops I already go through, just multiply that X5 and in cost!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Hi Joel
You are now a member of a rather small group of people!
Many of us have a dream of building a car from scratch.
Some of us have created drawings and started planning.
Those that are serious have gathered parts and materials.
A number of projects get started but for many reasons are sitting and unfinished.
You are one of the few that can say you managed to get yours to a legal and drivable stage!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
not sure what else to say except very cool and Congratulations, Joel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
You undoubtedly have an interesting selection of cars in the garage to enjoy (and sometimes even for daily use knowing yourself). 427 Cobra "kit" that you cut your teeth upon. This 250GTO which definitely has expanded your metal shaping skills. And upcoming the Lamborghini Miura that will evolve your fabrication and welding skillsets even further.

The 250GTO sure has come a long way since I saw it for the first time in the Spring of 2011.

Thanks for sharing of the journey over the years!
Thanks for the congratulations and project praise. The more I get the car sorted out the prouder I get about what I've been able to build.

Over the last few days, I've added a cross over tube in the exhaust (big improvement with a much smoother exhaust note now), replaced an under rated coil over spring, and rewired the radiator cooling fan to properly work as a "puller" instead of blowing air back through the grill opening. I had the wheels/tires aligned yesterday and the car really does handle like it's on rails.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:37 PM

I saw you out on the streets yesterday in Downtown Livermore. The car looked great.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig510 View Post
I saw you out on the streets yesterday in Downtown Livermore. The car looked great.
Thanks Craig. I was driving the GTO over to play sand volleyball. I guess it shows I didn't build a "garage queen".
Old 07-10-2020, 04:11 PM

Post Radiator Fan Shroud

As I’ve been driving the GTO around on these hot CA summer days, had some 100+ degree days recently, the AC does a decent job of combating the heat until it doesn’t. At temps below 90, the AC works fine. At 90+ it works until I make a stop or two, then after that it just blew hot air until I let the engine completely cool and then the AC started blowing cold again.

After a few times of this, the cause became apparent to me. The AC condenser was getting heat soaked driving AC system pressure up to a point where the binary safety switch would prevent the AC compressor from energizing. Engine coolant temps always run between 190 to 200 degrees so the engine wasn’t overheating. Given the long, low nose on the GTO, I had to mount the radiator at about 45 degrees such that the AC condenser is more mounted on top of it than in front of it. So when the car is turned off, the heat coming off the radiator naturally goes upward and into the AC condenser. I have a 15” puller electric fan but the shroud that came with it only covers about half of the radiator core. This was sufficient for engine cooling but obviously not for hot day AC operation.

I decided it was time to build a “full size” fan shroud out of 5052 .063 aluminum. My objective was to be able to install/remove the fan and shroud without having to drain coolant. This meant a multi-piece shroud would be required and I’d need to assemble it all in place during installation. The radiator core is 16” tall by 31” wide and the shroud would cover 100% giving 1 ¾” space for air flow.

I started by making a cardboard template, cutting out and folding up the largest shroud piece.

This shroud piece mounts to the fan via the four Rivnuts and the fan has legs that mount it to the car chassis. This shroud piece was test fit to radiator to ensure fit.

Next was to make a 2 ½” tall circular fence to enclose the fan blades. The circumference of the fence is 50” so I decided to make it in two pieces since it exceeded the 48” width of aluminum sheet. I folded the flat sheet into 90 degree angle with ¾” base. Using the linear stretching dies on my TM Tech style power hammer the base was stretched till the fence formed a nice 15 ¼” diameter circle.

After a bunch of additional templates, cutting, folding, welding, swearing, and test fitting, I had a completed shroud. Here’s the completed shroud next to the original one for comparison.

I salvaged the push on rubber bulb seal from the original shroud for sealing the new shroud where it meets up to the radiator tanks. Here it is all installed and ready to go.

Time will tell if this is the complete fix for the AC issues but I can say that the fan now draws a tremendous amount of air through the nose openings and through the radiator.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:10 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel

Years ago I had a car that was hard to keep cool.
I was referred to an engineer that work3d for Modine a company that made ceiling hung heating units. He told me that 1/2 of the fan blade should be in the shroud and 1/2 should be outside. The blades are then able to flow air axially as well as radially. There testing had shown that was the most efficient.

Steve