All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 PM

Default New post icon

Maybe its just me, but it seems hard to see when the Icon on the left shows up green indicating a new post. Its just to subtle to see. Could it be changed to a brighter color or just changed in general?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:04 PM

A Lot of forums offer different "Skins"... allowing you to choose a color scheme or design layout... I think vBulletin offers that option if the forum owner buys it as part of their deal.

But yes... I often have to tilt my head just right to be able to figure out which are green and not.

Making Waves, and Curves and Shapes.....
Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM

But yes... I often have to tilt my head just right to be able to figure out which are green and not.[/QUOTE]

Haha My gf often asks me why I tilt my head too. Glad Im not the only one
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. I use the 'todays posts or posts for the last 7 days not the New posts.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Kerry, I try to read everything new, which is highlighted in the color of the little icon on the left of the list of forums. It's got a little bit of green (which is not a terribly contrasting color to the rest of the forums' blue icons... ) to the left of the "swish"

It's OK except it's difficult for us that like to surf the way me and "kidpaint" do... I start at the bottom, looking for the posts with the green on the side... and work my way from the bottom to the top, so i don't miss anything. The problem is, the forum is not friendly to that style of reading... It also marks things read that I have never seen... Don't know why, but it does every time I visit, so it's very difficult to know what's new since I last came by. I'm pretty good about reading all that is "unread" until all of a sudden it just marks everything "read"...

Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Just click on "New Posts" and it keeps you up to date on everything.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard K View Post
Just click on "New Posts" and it keeps you up to date on everything.
Thanks for that... but what I'm trying to tell you is... That's not how I roll. Not everyone surfs the same... no big deal, but I'm not telling anyone else how to do it... Just explaining how I do it, and how the icon doesn't have a visual contrast... Obviously me and kidpaint work a little differently.

Truly... It's a minor criticism of the site. I think that's what this section/thread is for. Not to get pointers on how to use the forum. I don't think it's detrimental to the usage, or the user... just noting what is visually difficult for those of us who use things differently.

But keeping in the Spirit of the AMS Forums, I do love to learn and will try the way you've suggested. Nothing ventured, nothing gained/lost.

I don't believe either of us were trying to be difficult to get along with. We're just noting a feature that is lost due to poor contrast.

To explain how my surfing style works for me... I sometimes miss a few days, or maybe a few weeks visiting the forums, and when I visit a thread I like to see it how it's posted, Last Post Last. But I want to have the older stuff handy when I do that, so I can recap the story as it were. If the "recent posts" links give me all that, then it may work out well for me to adjust to that. If I can't re-cap, then it will be of no help. But like I said... I'll give it a try and see how things work with those links.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Guys I don't even see anything like your describing. What I see is an envelope that is orange in the leftmost column of new posts, todays post, etc. If it's not been read it has paper coming out of it. If I've read it, the envelope and turns blue is closed. There is crooked arrow on the blue envelope if I've made a post in the thread.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Regarding changes to the forum, I'm willing to look into it but need to understand what your talking about. A screen shot might help. We don't really have a webmaster. I'm about the closest thing we have and that ain't much. I know enough to say out of areas of the admin screen that can crash the forum.

We run an old version of VBB 3.8. We have no plans on changing or upgrading because we'd have to pay someone to do the upgrade and also pay for the upgrade. Since we fund the site out of our pockets and have no ad or popup revenue, there isn't much motivation to stay on the cutting edge of forum software. The current layout works good for almost everyone and, for the price our members pay, is a heck of a deal.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Ok, I see what your talking about. I would never have thought of looking at the forum in that manner.

If you scroll down the forum list (by clicking on the Allmetalshaping logo, you see a circle with a paint brush in it. If there is a new post, half the circle is green. I have no problem seeing the green.

We tried a bunch of skins when we first created the forum. This skin won the vote of some selected members as the color scheme that was the most popular.

I looked through the admin control panel and don't see a way to change it...or even what the heck it's called.

I guess the short answer is it's probably not going to be changed unless someone here has the knowledge and can tell me how.

Sorry if it's inconvenient.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:50 PM

Truly, Kerry, I appreciate the look and figuring out what we were talking about, but it's really no big deal... I can "kinda" see the different color, but I usually just click on each sub forum and look for the Titles in Bold type now... Doesn't take much more effort, and I probably run across more cool stuff doing it that way. Often times, just opening each thread I find something that interests me a little different than normal, so I take the time to look.

Again, I appreciate the look, and Will also try the "daily" posts thing too. This is still one of the best info forums I have located for Metal Working folks who are both knowledgeable and Willing to share their knowledge.