All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Back at it. Laying low during the panic so the shop is a safe place.

We've been traveling for a couple months and it took a while to recover from the trip but it's time. Back on the door remodel.

In case you forgot, I decided to redo the top rear of the doors. This photo shows the old door and the plan for the new top.

Name:  20181127_125036.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  47.2 KB

I finished the drivers side last fall but this week started on the passenger. It was a bit easier and I'm happy with how it came out. Still some tweeking but pretty close, The back is a little narrow and the front a little wide but it can easily be moved.

Name:  20200315_125133.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  20200315_125146.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  68.1 KB

I closed up the gap on the front top also. This is the before photo...I forgot to take an after photo this afternoon when I quit for the day. Get one tomorrow.

Name:  20200315_125251.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  52.6 KB

I hope to finish the door tomorrow and decide whatever I'm going to do with the side vents. I may not know what that is until I start. I have some ideas.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Glad to see you back at it!

I have to make an effort to stop by. I ran into Dan Shady, accidentally, on Saturday. My wife was meeting up with someone to buy a video card off of Craigslist and the GPS took us out east of Huntsville. Made a right turn and was thinking to myself, "Dan's shop is around here somewhere" when I saw Dan out in the lot. Happy coincidence! Only been in the area for 2 weeks.

Spending time in the shop seems like a good way to lay low......as long as you don't need toilet paper!
Old 03-18-2020, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Spent a couple days replacing the 8' florescence bulbs in the main shop with LEDs. Wow what a difference. Need two more bulbs in that room and 8 for the machine shop. Ordered them today and will soon be all LED.

Kicked around a bit on the door gaps and bit the bullet and made a decision on the side vents. This is pretty much how it will look. This is a panel I wheeled up before the curved return is rolled over. You can see the sharpie line that will be the bend line

Name:  20200318_160437.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  36.2 KB

A trick I learned from Wray Schelin a million years ago is to run a tipping wheel down the bend line with out actually tipping or using much pressure. It will make a visible track on the back side that can then be tipped. Once I got it tipped up about 30 degrees, I used my trusty tipping tool to take it past 90 degrees and then a hammer to take it the rest of the way. To finish it off, I ran it through the Ewheel with a wide anvil just to crush down the return. A little bending to get the profile right and the contours are right.

Name:  20200318_161500.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  72.1 KB

Still need to cut out the old and weld in the new... Tomorrow hopefully.

Name:  20200318_163124.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  35.7 KB

I think I like the look...at least that will be my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:51 PM

Great to see you are back at it Kerry. Looks like progress.
I was able to drive my 33 Chevy hot rod a week ago for the first time in 58 years last month. Felt good.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Rouse; 03-18-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Nice to see you return to this. It was one of the first builds I read on here when I joined.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Made the other side. After ruminating on it a bit more, I decided to move it back a bit. Yesterdays photos were 8" front to back. This photo is 12" and works better imo.

Name:  20200319_112327.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  44.5 KB

There is an interesting optical illusion going on. The bottom looks further apart than the top when viewed from certain angles. It's not and I've made wooden spacers to insure the front and back are parallel. Makes me look twice every once in a while however.

FIFTY EIGHT YEARS! Wow Mike, that makes my lack of progress for the past 15 years look like a speed build! Maybe there's hope for me after all. The last time I saw your project it was getting close.

On another note, I'm interested in the brain trusts thoughts on hood latches. Here is a photo of the side. The hood is two parts with a center hinge. I've looked at leather belts like Morgan and MG TC, etc. I've looked at Model A type exterior latches...also used in many prewar cars.

I dont want to get street rod looking but I'd be interested in some type of hidden latch. I can reach inside through the side vents and manipulate a latch. I've thought about something similar to the safety latch on a car hood. Simple, effective, hidden. Also I could build that in my shop easily.

Something like this:
Name:  C6TZ-16892-A.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  26.3 KB

Could mount on the top of the fender vent and hook over the lip of the hood.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

It's looking good, Kerry.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:09 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

What about a horizontal spring loaded, slide pin with a tapered end.

Make a block with a 1/4 or 5/16 hole to guide the pin.
Pin could be a grade 5 bolt, cut off the threads and taper the end for easy engagement. Use a spring, flat washer and cotter pin to hold it locked in.
Another thought ...... flip the bolt end for end, cut the head off and taper that end. Use the threads to mount a knob.
This could all be mounted to the body within reach of the side vent.
The bracket on the hood could have a rubber grommet for the pin to engage in and eliminate a rattle.
One of the parts would need to be height adjustable.

Clear as mud

Steve
Old 03-20-2020, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Made the rocker panel under the right side door.

Name:  20200320_163742.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  43.5 KB

There are three pieces that have to be welded together. and I have to fix the bottom of the rear fender to flow into the rocker panel.

Name:  20200320_163840.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  69.1 KB

I sure think rounding the corners of the doors would look better but don't think it is a correct look for the era. I may do it anyway. And yes, the curves on the door line are intentional.

This was considerably more difficult than I had anticipated. Getting a straight line on a curved panel that was not vertical took some thinking and trial and error.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Kerry, the convex shapes are beautiful. I've always admired them. It belongs to nature. But they need another pair of eyes to watch them. The same place is different from each side. Sometimes it is difficult to decide which view is the main one.

When is the target date for finishing or painting? What color is in mind?