All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-07-2018, 06:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 & April '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmh View Post
Beautiful work as ever Kent. Can you tell me why you used TIG instead of gas, was it to keep the HAZ as small as possible?
Thanks, David.
On small complicated parts I have to be careful with heat. This panel can get heat-soaked real quick, and my choice was to either use wet rags as heat sinks or to pull out my venerable WP20....

Hindsight: wet rags and torch would have yielded a better surface finish.
- But, I have a lot of repairs to perform on this panel and some are really complicated, sooooo .... trying to lessen complexity yields still other complexities.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 11-07-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
As promised the other end got patched, same way -

Attachment 49530
ready for weld dressing, hammering, filing.

Panel is set up for standing hand work, "handworking at the bench."

Attachment 49526
Bright lights enhance visibility one thousand percent.
As Bob Davids would tell me, "Do this or fail!" (bright illumination, reflecting off of surface = critical lighting. He is an old Art Center graduate, so ...)
Note: stuff shown on bench, under panel =
quick check spray
machinist spray blue,
Super Shear file
rigid hard sanding block
marlinspike
spring steel spoon
asst'd weight/face contour hammers

Attachment 49527
"Spooning" with the forged spring steel spoon, to fine-level the surface with the marlin spike held under as "dolly." (both tools mfg'd by TM Tech)
Attachment 49528
"Check file" the surface, using modified Super Shear file (source:TM Tech)
Attachment 49529
filed surface - might want to compare this with my first/intro post.
I am removing .002" material (demo measured during my "metal finishing classes) to simply "check" the surface, hence "check filing," a term used by pre-1960's metal guys who knew how to file, what files were available, and how to care for files. Files are one of the two fundamental hand tools. Good idea to know how to use one.

- and so on to completion ...
Hi Kent,

Can you show more on how you modified the Super Shear file for check filing? Thanks for sharing the project, always nice to see airplane projects.

Bill

"Remember, the camel was a horse, designed by a committee" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi Kent,

Can you show more on how you modified the Super Shear file for check filing? Thanks for sharing the project, always nice to see airplane projects.

Bill

Here ya go, Bill:

P1010663.jpg

P1010664.jpg
P1010665.jpg

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Cessna wheel pants? I interesting location for the welds. Not like your video where each side was done in equal quarters. These appear to be divided at the points of highest curvature. Gorgeous work.

You must have to be real careful on those instrument panels to not over stretch. I still don't get what the Marlin spike is for, though I know it is one of your go-to tools. Someday I will get down there. My fear is that I will return home with half your tool inventory (already own the other half) and have to get another mortgage.

ps - supershear is my go-to file. Love it for aluminum. Perhaps I need to get another one to bend it up.

Last edited by sblack; 11-12-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
Cessna wheel pants? I interesting location for the welds. Not like your video where each side was done in equal quarters. These appear to be divided at the points of highest curvature. Gorgeous work.

You must have to be real careful on those instrument panels to not over stretch. I still don't get what the Marlin spike is for, though I know it is one of your go-to tools. Someday I will get down there. My fear is that I will return home with half your tool inventory (already own the other half) and have to get another mortgage.

ps - supershear is my go-to file. Love it for aluminum. Perhaps I need to get another one to bend it up.

Yes Scott, those 195 pants had the welds on the highest-strength contours. Worth noting is that the beads go right through the planished gas welds - with zero problems.
I use our Marlin spike (phid) as several different tools: a small dolly-on-a-stick, a small hammer, a lifting point, a line-up punch, and as a radius tool. Best $1.5 I spent, back in 1972.... now we make this one size for metal working.
Super Shear file design (Nicholson) dates to 1953, according to the man who set up the machine to cut them. Great file for cutting aluminum fast.
P1010663 copy.jpg

Last edited by crystallographic; 11-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.