All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Kerry, looks good, couple of more days and it will be finished except for paint.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Kerry, looks good, couple of more days and it will be finished except for paint.
I don't know Joe, I have to stop and update the blueprints...

Today I worked on mounting the left rear fender. First thing was to weld the fender to the 1/4x1 strip. Once that is bolted in place the front is basically mounted although the fender liner will stiffen it up even more.

I then trimmed the back of the rear fender opening to flow out a bit. This required un-tipping the edge...

and tipping the new line. I used a cresent wrench, dolly, and slapper to tip the edge. Came out really nice.

The front fender will be trimmed to a similar line like marked with the blue tape.

Then I got busy on the rear part of the inner fender and mount. It actually has quite a bit of shape in it. Eventually it will be fastened to the fender lip with panel adhesive but for now, tapcons hold it in place.

There is a 1/8x1x1 aluminum angle curved to the appropriate shape and welded both to the frame mount and the panel. Here you can see the 1/2" bolt that goes to the frame. There is a piece of urethane sandwiched between things to keep it from being a rigid mount.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

That set of prints must be getting big now. Are you still using "Kerry Draw"? The door fit looks good. Have you tried the trunk to see how it fits?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Panel Adhesive

Kerry,

You mentioned you are going to use panel adhesive. I'm going to try the same thing, to stick aluminum skin onto a steel frame. My issue is that I can't clamp up the area, without building a huge clamping fixture. My thought was to use aluminum screws, to hold the panel in place, then just sand off the heads.

Tried self tapping steel screws, then welding the holes up after removal. Adhesive can't take the heat. And the heads tend to break off due to the glue.

Are there any magic trick's you are aware of to accomplish this task?

John
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Haven't actually done it yet John. I'm thinking I'll just use the self drilling/tapping screws to clamp and then remove them. The panel adhesive can be used to build up/fill any spots and screw holes. It's pretty tough stuff and I understand you can use it like lead on edges and such.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 PM

I haven't used any of the panel adhesive, but I've use seam sealer with solid rivets (aircraft style). I've also used cherry-max (pop rivets) to innumerable fiberglass air ducts to Aluminum panels on MD-80 and MD-90s. It would give you a mechanical fastener to hold the panels together while everything dried and do it with minimal corrosion since the rivet is AL. If it was me I'd put solid rivets everywhere I could but I have A LOT of experience doing those.

Looking good thanks for posting it.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
carbuilder

Kerry looking good & when you come out with Kerry Draw version 20.09 let me know I need an up dated version for my projects Danny.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Finished the front fender mount/inner fender panel today. The top has a fair amount of shape in it because the top portion (to be built) will need to have considerable tire clearance up into the fender itself.

Here you can see how it mounts a little better. There is a 1/8 aluminum flange welded to the .063 and it is bolted through the steel 16 ga cabin structure.

Also decided to stretch the back mount/liner a bit to match the front. I'll clean it up later but it's going to get all beat up as soon as I drive it anyway.

Now for the fun stuff. I did some metalfinishing on the top inside part and then laid it on the car. Wow! That is really, REALLY motivating to me. This is the first time there has been 4 fenders on the car...even it they're all not finished...it's a major milestone in my mind at least.

I had to lay the decklid in place and clamp on the center panel. Yep, matches the plans in my head!

I'm very pleased with the look and although I know I should have done a LOT of things differently, that which doesn not kill us makes us a better metalshaper....or something like that...

Yeah yeah, the decklid is crooked...it's just laying up there for effect...there isn't anything for it to lay on yet.

And here is the front of the fender view. I'll fabricate some temporary rear mounts to locate everything and get stuff at the same height as the other side, then weld the front of the fender to the aluminum flat bar and studs.

I've got a fair amount of structure to build to support the rear sheet metal and trunk. Although an actual truck floor and sides is not on the critical path to having it roadworthy.

After a few weeks of druggery, I'm excited again!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Kerry, You should be happy and proud of what you have accomplished so far. I know what it took to get it there. The trunk shape looks great. Once the left fender is mounted and you tip the flange for the trunk you will be able to really see how nice it looks. Great job wish I was there to help you get the rest of the back end together. It is really coming together now.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
carbuilder

Kerry the lines are realy starting to flow looking great Danny.