All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure if my Harris torch will do the job though
Why not?? To quote you:
Quote:
A torch is a torch right ??
If the torch is in good shape and feels comfortable for you to use,
I would get a good assortment of tips and practice, practice, practice.

I have tried the small torches and the pistol grip torches and they just don't feel comfortable to me. Others find them very comfortable to use. It's all in how comfortable you feel using one.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post

I'll make another post on "weld density" issues with aluminum welding.

Attachment 37455
Cool,
Who say's America has the worst coffee.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
i really dont do anything more than the average person, except I scrape my filler rod, and maybe weld a little hotter than most.. 100amps on .060 3003 with 1100 rod. 2% thoriated 3/32

heres some torture pics.

initial planishing...
couple hammer whacks?
planished on the planisher then wheeled.

ran 3 passes with the thumbs through it... its between the blue lines

same deal... planisher, wheel.

through the weld. there is a baby crack on the edge as you can see, but i didnt exactly weld it good there. im confident i can do it with no cracks when needed. If it holds up to a round of bag work, three thumbnails passes, 3 planisher passes, and 2 wheel sessions, i have no problem leaving my flux on the shelf.

Edit - actually after seeing the part and earlier pics, what appears to be a crack is weld proud of the surface. theres no cracking in this piece.
Steve, that is a pretty good torture test, and your welds have held really well, but! if I may add one thing,
Fatigue is caused mostly from mounting or fitting with NVH's (Noise, Vibration and Harshness)levels.
That's why they build out of plastic.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
Steve, that is a pretty good torture test, and your welds have held really well, but! if I may add one thing,
Fatigue is caused mostly from mounting or fitting with NVH's (Noise, Vibration and Harshness)levels.
That's why they build out of plastic.
I'd like to think that i put my welds through quite a vibration test going through shrink dies, getting hit with a high crown mallet, and several rounds through the planisher, that they would hold up on any car or bike I build. If i was dealing with aircraft and something where body panels were structural, i's take proper care. But, that being said, many modern aircraft have TIG welds all over them.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
I'd like to think that i put my welds through quite a vibration test going through shrink dies, getting hit with a high crown mallet, and several rounds through the planisher, that they would hold up on any car or bike I build. If i was dealing with aircraft and something where body panels were structural, i's take proper care. But, that being said, many modern aircraft have TIG welds all over them.
Perhaps a solution to a metal problem lies in the choice of "appropriate technology?"

It may not actually be a rote choice as much one of choosing the best technology at hand, provided enough familiarity with the tech varieties is to be had ...... maybe?

Sometimes I choose stick-arc over MIG or TIG. ..... and the welds slide right by the sharp eyes in the neighborhood .....

And sometimes I have to argue with the welder over his choice of MIG when I am thinking TIG (4130 chromoly - ......... don't get me started on MIG over torch or TIG for 4130 air frames ... )

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:38 PM

i have to say as a beginner welder of alloy .. tig is way easier to get a reasonable weld from doesn't seem to penetrate as well as gas but much easier
now just need a few hundred hours of practice on the oxy ..
Old 05-29-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31fords View Post
Not sure if my Harris torch will do the job though
TIG vs O/A debate aside, Harris 85 is a nice "medium sized" torch body. Use with the D-85 low equal/pressure mixer, set of tips, you're set. Harris tip sizes are -very- close to Meco tips #1-4, btw. So Meco tip/metal/thickness suggestions apply for panel work.
Low, equal pressure, pre-mix, correct tip size/profile (clean gas)= all you need.

Harris 85 knobs are at the base, so you can hold it comfortably like a big pencil (or TIG torch). Bigger torch body also helps with the coffee jitters.

Rick W.