Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-26-2017, 04:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
hey Marcus, have you tried this guy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-N...kAAOSw4GVYMcmL
I have but unfortunately the thread is too far back from the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman View Post
Hi Marcos
Your project is a winner, thanks for giving us your time, effort and skills.
Swap Meet was great on Friday, drove 2 1/2 Hours, walked nearly
10 Klm in 5 hours, (only seen a bit over half of it) then drove 220Klm Home.

I'll have to try and get a site next year.
Phil
Took us 2.5hrs to get there as well but only had to drive 175km. Western Ring road was at a crawl! I did 7.5 hrs of walking and covered the whole thing but still have sore feet! The old layout was bigger and measured it then at 22km for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Naida View Post
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/14w-wiper-wheelboxes/

Marcus check with these people.

I have bought from them and they shipped to the US.
very pleased.

Ron
Been chatting with John this week actually but the longest still made is only 68mm long and still too short. I don't know if I can join two sets together and make my own as picked up a set of TR4-5 ones at 66mm long. Use the back half of these and the front part of the Mini ones I already have? Housing should be easy enough to tig but would the shaft be strong enough after welding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
Marcus
You sure putting same serious work in to that car WELL DONE!!
Peter
Many thanks for that Peter and thank for checking in.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

close! lol

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  24.3 KB
Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2015

Default wheel box shafts

< Been chatting with John this week actually but the longest still made is only 68mm long and still too short. I don't know if I can join two sets together and make my own as picked up a set of TR4-5 ones at 66mm long. Use the back half of these and the front part of the Mini ones I already have? Housing should be easy enough to tig but would the shaft be strong enough after welding? >

Marcus, I started to modify a set of wheel boxes myself.
The shafts are .248 diameter with the drive gear pressed on a spline.
The wiper arm end is also a spline with the aluminum piece pressed on
The splines are about a 1/4 inch long on each end of the .248 shaft.

Making a new shaft would be better than welding.
If you use the collet type of wiper arms you only need to spline the drive gear end

My problem is I have a fold down windshield and need the wiper arms to move to the valet position further away.

Let us know your solution.
Ron
Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Thanks Neil and Ron.

Thank you for the extra info Ron. I have no way to cut new splines but could just run a spline adaptor like you say the same as on Land Rovers. They run a long wheel box on the Series 1-3 and Defenders, but the wiper arm is a bit far away from the end of the shaft housing, even if you cut the shaft back and have the adaptor hard against the shaft seal. In my application it does not work but might in yours? I just found out it is 80mm from the housing to the end of the thread, You loose some for the seal though. I could make a custom housing and use the shaft out of these though too?

Last edited by Gojeep; 02-26-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Man, am I late getting to the party.

Marcus, this build of yours is just fantastic. I've been going thru it for the last four days and I am thoroughly impressed. When I get back to mine, I am going to try and take my time as you are doing and work through methodically as you've shown.

Outstanding!

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM

Pugsy,

Marcus is a very patient and methodical man..He has the right attitude in, no point doing it unless it's done right.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
Pugsy,

Marcus is a very patient and methodical man..He has the right attitude in, no point doing it unless it's done right.
Yep, you got that right. I need to remember his methods and try to go at it in a similar fashion.
I always rush too much trying to get to the end when the end is closer when you take your time.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 03-02-2017, 03:12 AM

Many thanks for the comments.
I took on this project as a teaching aid as not one to just play with metal without an end role. I enjoying the learning aspect and trying to do better or another way to see what works out the best.
I had been worried what I would do once it was finished! Then my wife said I can start on a custom panel delivery for her.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:32 AM

Time to finish off the dash. Thought might as well cut the top from the two stock ones to start with.

Put an extra fold at along the bottom edge to give some more strength.

Need to adjust the fold some from stock to get it to sit a little higher to clear the centre ducts.

This stake dolly I made from an old wood splitter works really well for this.

Made the centre piece up from the other dash and welded it all in. The stock vent holes were lengthened by 60% and the vents trail fitted. The donor dash will sit down on top of this upper dash piece with the original metal window garnish holding it down in place. This garnish also has a louver pressed in to go over the vent slots which I will have to lengthen to match the new longer ones.

Did a lot of hunting around to fit a suitable wiper system that would fit in the space I had available. There were so many bad reports on the Chinese universal ones that I stayed away from them. This is a Lucas 14W 2 speed setup as used in many English cars like Jaguar, Mini, Triumphs etc. The replacement motor kits are all the same for these. I got this with mounting kit and the internal rack cable from Minimine. Simon has a eBay store but can deal directly too if you email minimine@btconnect.com as well be a bit cheaper. Everything above including a wiring loom pigtail was 80 pounds. You will also need flange nut that holds the tube rack to the rack feral, two wheelboxes, arms and blades which I bought from him as well.

I fitted the glovebox to see if there was enough room to get the wiper motor in next to it.

Looks like it may just fit but have to make sure it doesn't touch anything around it as will transfer the noise otherwise when it is running.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-14-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 AM

Made a bracket to weld in between the tube cowl brace and the steel support for the front of the dash.

Worked out the best position for the pivot point just by drawing halve the visible glass area on some cardboard and used some stiff wire as a model for the wiper arm and blade. Basically made sure it would just clear the top of the glass when vertical and be near the center of the windscreen when at the bottom of the sweep.

Found these rubber wiper wheelbox bezels that include the washer sprayers as well all in one unit. Saves having them on the cowl or bonnet. They fit Triumph TR4, TR5 and TR6.

The washer hose connects to the brass tube and it sprays out of the chrome piece on the side. The wheelboxes are Mini, #37H7200, as needed short one to go behind my vents. The shaft without the gear housing, but including the splined end, are 48mm-1.7/8" long. TR7 ones were 66mm-2.5/8" long. The more the angle of the cowl where the wheelbox sits is different to the windscreen, the longer the shaft needs to be to take up the difference.

I had to alter the angle of the bezel until it matches the angle of the windscreen. Otherwise you can get stuttering during the sweep of the blades.

The washer jets are nicely hidden under the arm if you choose to put them on that side. They come in left and right. I also have a pet hate for blades that don't sit flat along the bottom of the screen, so will address that.

Clamped the arm into the vice with some aluminium to protect them, then with one hit with a soft faced hammer altered the angle.

Tried it and got it first go! These arms are good quality TEX brand which are English made and stainless steel. These are OEM for the Classic Mini from 1971 on. A 10" blade with a 11" long arm. The white part is the plastic protection film for the stainless steel. I choose what is called folding arm movement where the wipers sweep outwards to the sides. This leaves the largest unswept area behind the rear vision mirror where you don't look through the glass anyway. Stock was the clapping hands movement where there sweep towards the centre.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-14-2017 at 03:47 AM.