Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi john View Post
Fantastic DVD David.
Each time I watch it I pick out things you hadn't said or shown the previous time I played it
As you have said so often, its practice practice practice.

Thankyou John

PS Get the roadster finished !

Hi John, thanks for your comment. I spent a long time editing to cram as much information in as possible, detailing everything I could with overlaid text and animations. This is why I say 'watch practice and watch again' in the naration.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

I have been so busy with the workshop and paying work that I have not done much to the disaster recently but I hope to get back on it soon.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 05-11-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Default A question for David

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi john View Post
Fantastic DVD David.
Each time I watch it I pick out things you hadn't said or shown the previous time I played it
Ditto.

Didn't know where to post this question, but have re-watched David's DVD a lot, so I put it here. I go through it in segments, too much for me to retain otherwise.

I glean new tidbits each time, noticing and picking up on new things every viewing.

David, my question is about the bench top machine shown in many views at the end of your long bench. It's dark blue in color and mounted to a segment of "I" beam painted the same and clamped to the bench with vise grip C-clamps, (I think you call them G clamps over there).

It looks like what we call here an arbor press, and it looks like you have thumbnail shrinking dies on it.

It's in the background a lot, you probably know what I mean by now, but there's a good image at 1:57:47 for those who are following this post at home and have your DVD. For those of you who don't and are considering it, it's well worth the price.

I am very curious as I reconditioned and sold a 2 ton arbor press and acquired another smaller one to resell, until my curiosity was piqued by my recent viewing of your DVD.

Can you comment on your blue tool? It is very appealing as I already have the press. Additionally, I saw Woodward Fab's multi-press at a trade show, but dismissed it as too slow. http://www.woodwardfab.com/product-c...n/multi-press/

However, it looks very similar to your blue press, so now I am rethinking my possibly uninformed dismissal of the concept.

Congrats again on a great DVD, and also MSOTM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Hi Mark. I built that long ago. It was made from a sort of fly press that used a counter weight to add force to the swing. I did not have a Pullmax at the time (or for many years after) but I wanted to try thumbnail dies. It worked quite well but was hard work!. I think it would be less successful with an arbour press because there is no counter weight. The multi press is pretty much an arbour press so would probably not work.

What it did allow was for me to learn and understand how thumbnail dies work. I still have the dies and I use them in my Pullmax.

If I were going to make a manual machine for this I would make a kick shrinker like the group build but you would have to be pretty fit to do more than a small area.

Thank you for the comments on my DVD. I made it in the way I did and edited it for so long so that I could show as much as possible in a given time otherwise it would have taken several DVDs to show the same information. As with my metalwork jobs I wanted to give value for money.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 12-11-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Mark this is the set of thumbnail dies I had in the machine. I carved them with a four inch grinder.

I made these little inner wheel houses (tubs) for a pedal car with them in the Pullmax.

They work well but I use them less than you might imagine. I don't do a lot of shrinking, it's quicker to put a welded joint in in most instances. I try not to over stretch the metal either for the same reason and because it gets very thin very quick.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 12-11-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 AM

David, thank you, and thanks also for the close up of the thumbnail dies.

As an amateur, I am on a budget, but also I enjoy making rather than buying whenever I can. Many, if not most times I am not time efficient, but I consider it all part of the process that I enjoy.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Mark this is the set of thumbnail dies I had in the machine. I carved them with a four inch grinder.

I made these little inner wheel houses (tubs) for a pedal car with them in the Pullmax.

They work well but I use them less than you might imagine. I don't do a lot of shrinking, it's quicker to put a welded joint in in most instances. I try not to over stretch the metal either for the same reason and because it gets very thin very quick.

David
I have thought about that as well, just how much some guys stretch the metal. You see some UTube vids where they work it that thin, you can use a paper hole punch to make spot weld hole in.

Actually there is a vid on Wray Schelin making a reverse on a stump without any loss of metal on the sides. Which I thought was a great idea. I think Bill Longyard took the footage.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

I'd also like to say David's DVD is hands down the best metalshaping dvd on the market. I own probably 50 or more metalworking dvds and, I watch David's the most.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Default David Gardiner

Dave, Your dvd really opened the door for me. I was able to make replacement parts for my TR-3 that would have cost hundreds of dollars.
I love the section on shrinking where you heat the tucks and then flatten them. I never knew RR rail could be so usefull or you could make your own tools. I was already tuned into steel gas hammer welding, so seeing its use in aluminum was a natural progression.
Once again, thanks. Joe Mato
Old 05-23-2015, 05:31 PM

I have had my DVD for over three years now and I still go back and view it to learn more. I am very pleased with it.

Shrinking using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAFndATFo4&t=7s

Making a reverse using a stump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlF1BoMCQI

Circular Truss E-Wheel
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=15419
Old 08-23-2022, 04:22 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find a source for this dvd, from extensive google searching it seems like everyone is sold out. I sent an email to David but he didn't get back to me.

Would anyone have a line on a dvd? I know it's a long shot. Happy to rent it as well. I live in Vancouver, Canada.