All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Man, am I looking forward to this. This is shaping up to be an an outstanding event. I just can't wait. I've always been good at mechanics, got some projects rolling around in my head and if I learn the fundamentals, I can start working metal (more efficiently and knowing how it will move) and getting better. Interested in learning something about riveting, that's a cool look. Can't wait to learn welding Aluminium also.

Once again, thanks for the great effort in putting this on.

Dave
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Assorted updates and preparation for upcoming meet

I have been working on getting the latest equipment in place, wired up and getting ready to use. I have the shear ready, tested and outfitted with front arms and rear catch tray. The P5 is wired up, cleaned up and had the accessories cleaned, oiled and had the missing knobs replaced. I have made the tooling and die racks made for the P5, just need to weld them and hang them on the sides. I have sorted out the dies for the kick punch press and made drawings for the die holders to be made at the water jet place. these need to be welded and they are ready to go. I have added a stainless steel top to a recently acquired work bench and intend to set it aside for gas welding the aluminum parts for the speedster.

I have removed the lower tool holder from the P7 and am preparing to lower it 1" in a manner similar to what Dutch and Marty Comstock have done.

Andrew Slater (SWTRacing) came over Saturday and we fabricated some tools for the tool exchange (you will be impressed with Andrews). He also welded up the front supports for the electric shear and put handles on the "Hillbilly Hot Dollies". It looks like they will work well on exterior curves on light gauge aluminum, and I will be making more of them.

In defense of my northern friend, I have also included this extremely rare photo.

wac4 002.jpg

wac4 003.jpg

wac4 0022.jpg

wac21 003.jpg

wac21 004.jpg

wac21 005.jpg

wac44 012.jpg

kerry4 024.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Looks great! I really looking forward to get there and see you,Peggy and your area! 20 years since I was in Charlott....

This is a extremly rare pic of Dan " clean shop" Pate! Try to get it signed next time you see him, it will be high value!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Default NASCAR Hall of Fame Update

I just got off the phone with my friend 'Buzz' McKim who manages the NASCAR Hall of Fame Museum in Charlotte, N.C. He will be attending the meet on Saturday, late morning to share with us the updates and the newest additions to the HOF and to discuss the results of my request for discount rates to attend the HOF on Sunday after the meet. Among other things, he mentioned that they are updating the race car simulators to the new Gen-6 style race cars. This section of the museum allows up to 12 competitors to each get in a car and to race each other on the simulators at the same time.

Here is a link to the museum: http://www.nascarhall.com/

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-10-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM

Default Update on meals and door prizes

My good friend Paul Crosby has graciously stepped up to say that he will cook both lunch (chicken breasts of some sort) and supper (hot dogs and/or hamburgers) on Friday. On Saturday we are having a catered barbecue lunch and supper is still up in the air (probably more hot dogs/hamburgers, maybe pizza). Jeffrey Scott (ty1295 here on the board) and his dad have kindly offered to cook breakfast in the mornings (eggs, bacon/ham, pancakes, French toast) This is a first class breakfast as tested at Kerry Pinkerton's meet.

We have also been graciously offered very nice door prizes from Rick Scott (from here on the board), Fay Butler has sent a nice box of 'goodies', and I have received a commitment from Ron Fornier and Gerry Gulley (an old drag racing friend), for additional door prizes.

Probable 'seminars' are a gas welding presentation by Bill Longyard, a tool & fixture TIG welding and fabricating presentation by Andrew Slater (SWT Racing). Kerry has offered to do his now famous metalshaping 101 class and Jim Spradley (a good friend who is the southern rep for Henrob) has offered to provide a demonstration on how to set up and use the Henrob torch. (I have seen this and it is impressive)

It's going slow, but we are making progress. Andrew Slater and Paul Crosby have been stopping by to help as time permits. My wife Peggy has been working hard as well to make preparations in the shop.

I am working on having the Model A motor for the speedster up and running on an engine stand by the time the event is here.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-12-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Attendee update

I just got off the phone from talking to another friend of mine that works for Hendricks Motorsports. I used to fly this young man, Ron Reedy down from Dayton Ohio, where I used to live, to my shop in Fort Mill, S.C. to paint the cars that I repaired for Bill Elliott. I would pick him up at the Charlotte, NC airport on Friday at 3:00 in the afternoon and we would work non-stop until I put him back on the plane at 9:00 AM Monday morning. Most times the paint would still be wet when I got home from the airport. I would sleep until Tuesday morning.

He came south and went to work for Rick Hendricks at Hendricks Motorsports and for the last several years has been the manager of the shop area that 'hangs' the bodies and does the sheet metal work for all four of the Hendricks Sprint Cup cars. He has stated that he will be able to attend at least one of the days of the Redneck Roundup.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-15-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

Things are really shaping up, Will!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Wow,I've been busy at the shop and was worried the meet got cancelled what a surprise to see all this interest...your 2 hrs away the closest one I've ever been too...This is just great...cant wait...

"Perfect circles are pointless"
AKA...Deadbodyman
Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 AM

Thank You ,

"Perfect circles are pointless"
AKA...Deadbodyman
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Pattern info presented by Per

I have been in touch with Per, and he has offered to present a demo regarding the 'reading' of a panel shape, and decision making about where to section the panels individual sections prior to welding together. I have seen his thoughts on this approach and it is very logical once it has been shown. I am looking forward to seeing it at the Redneck Roundup.

Andrew Slater came by the shop this weekend and we talked about his presentation on TIG welding. He cut up a bunch of small coupons for testing different filler rods and technics and will be demonstrating different TIG technics and determining what style torch to use, and sharing info on different filler rods and the results they produce. In doing so, I made available some of my Pullmax fixture assembly tooling and he will be making samples of tooling, tools and fixtures normally seen in a metal shaping environment.

I am interested in pursuing gas welding, particularly aluminum, and I will have two separate benches available for gas welding. I have both the Henrob torch (from Jim Spradley) and the MECO midget torch from Kent White. If you are interested in viewing the gas welding of aluminum, be sure to bring your own lenses, as I only have one pair. The ONLY pair to bring, in my opinion, is Kent's lenses (The TinMan) They are somewhat costly, but THE ONLY RIGHT lenses for gas welding aluminum. It is my thinking that Kent has these made in batches, and I would contact him right away to make sure that they are available. I only have one set of the small gauges and only one gas saver, so if someone has either of these items, they can be put to good use at the meet.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-15-2014 at 06:09 AM.